Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE Membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Cab Clearance Lights

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by k20, Apr 27, 2004.

1. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

Hey y'all, Im wanting to put cab clearance lights on my truck. (yeah I know one more place to leak, but I like the looks) Anyway, I was wondering if anyone could tell me if this is the stock type lens that was on these trucks? I dont like all the cheap aftermarket ones, I like these and was jsut curious if these were the stockers. Also, what all would need for the swap. I know 5 lenses, 5 baseplates for lenses, a wiring harness, and 5 bulbs. What else? Also, could someone tell me the spacing measurements for the stock lights w/ 3 in teh middle and 2 off to the side? Thanks.

2. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Build(s):
    Yes, those are the factory style lens covers. You are going to have to drill holes in your roof to install the clearance lights. It is going to be a lot of work to install clearance lights...drilling the holes, removing the headliner, routing the wiring. are you going to install a separate switch for the clearance lights, or are you going to connect them into the head light switch like the factory does?

3. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

probably connect into the factory headlight switch, is it a diff switch for the ones w/ cab lights?

4. 1-ton

Build(s):
    I do not know, but I suspect the switch is no different.

5. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

Thanks, I didnt think it would be, but knowing the general, its a heavier duty switch for the extra current, or some crap like that.

6. 1-ton

Build(s):
    If you give me some time I can go out and measure the placement of the clearance lights on my truck. I have a 1991 old body style 1-Ton, which came with factory clearance lights.

7. 90blzr

90blzr 1/2 ton status

Checked your profile...noticed you have a 1991 V3500....WE WANT PICS! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

8. 1-ton

Build(s):
    I do not own a digital camera currently, but I was thinking of getting one of those disposable digital cameras, and taking some pictures of it that way I can post the pics.

9. 90blzr

90blzr 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Make sure you post some up when you get them! Sounds like a sweet truck.. I'd love to see pics of it /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

I thought the factory lights were longer from front to rear. not round based like those.

11. 1-ton

Build(s):
    This is an approximate measurement on my truck

Left and Right outside marker light measurements.

From door rain rail: 5 inches

From windshield molding: 5 inches

Center three marker light measurements.

From both Left and Right outside marker lights to center marker lights: 17 1/2 inches

Center marker lights: 7 inch (between all three of them)

From windshield molding: 5 inches

The clearance lights on my 1991 truck are the rounded kind, but I remember I had an old 1968 a long time ago that came factory with the longer, thinner type. Will get pics up soon as possible.

12. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

hey man, thanks a ton, I always liked the stock placements, so I wanted to get that spacing on mine. Thanks again.

13. b55baron

b55baron Registered Member

LMC used to sell all the pieces and parts in their 1973-87 Chevrolet/GMC Truck catalog, which is how I bought mine. I looked at the 2004 spring catalog and now they sell a kit but all they show is the later, rectagular lenses and the current three lense set-up.

Thanks for the measurements. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

14. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

yeh i saw those later model light kits, almsot as cheap as the stock wiring harness grrrr. If only they sold em with the stock lights.