CK5 Network
Repairing, restoring or modifying your ride just got a whole lot easier!

caddy 472

1979jimmy350

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
is a 472 a good engine for a K-5? is there a market for them at all would it be some thing that I could sell.

pauly383

Daddy383
Reaction score
It makes good torque at low rpms and their light for what they are, several members run those and 500's also. Now parts are not as easily had as they are for small or big block Chevy's. There are places to get stuff for it. I am sure someone else knows. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

gm4x

1/2 ton status
Reaction score
Better off stickin' to more "standard" cid's. I had a Caddy w/a 472. Not sayin you can't get parts, you can, but not like you can for a 350/454 (etc), and the 472 parts of course are alittle more pricey. If it were me, I'd sell it (if you own it) for whatever I could get, if it wasn't mine I'd pass on it. If you need a motor, you can get a decent GM crate motor for $1500-2000 with a GM warranty.
http://www.gmpartsdepot.com/default.htm?SID=8&
Check out the ZZ572 motor on the above link. BAD!! /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

gm4x

1/2 ton status
Reaction score
Hard to say. no offense, but I wouldn't haul it off for ya. Find someone who's looking for one & it'll be worth a whole bunch more. Recent rebuild, chrome goodies (valve covers, etc) will help, as Holley carb, HEI, so forth. Post it in the for sale area for what you want for it & go from there I'd say. Also, don't listen to me, if you're determined to have a 472 in your ride, go for it. If you're looking for practical (LOL, whatever THAT is) economical, easy to find parts......small bloch Chev.

BigBadCad

1/2 ton status
Reaction score
If you have a good running 472 that doesn't require a rebuild, I'd go ahead and use it. I stuffed a 500 under the hood several years ago when my 454 crapped out and have never looked back. In fact I've been so impressed with the performance of the 500 that I doubt I will ever go back to a BBC or SBC.

Top Bottom