Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE Membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Colorado trail run in September

Discussion in 'Blazin Trails' started by nedceifus, Jul 11, 2017.

1. nedceifus

nedceifus 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Build(s):
    i know Blazer bash is in September but my wife works that weekend & im not quite ready to pull 12hrs till I know my tow truck, & 8low are up to the task. Id like to find a trail run in CO in September to shoot for. Something nice & easy. I don't want to scare the bjesus out of my family & besides I don't have a cage yet. Any ideas?

2. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

Build(s):
    What part of CO? What will the nearest city be?

3. nedceifus

Build(s):
    I'm coming from NE. Never wheeled Colorado so I'm just looking for some people that are going out. Eastern CO is best for me. The less I have to drag this thing, the better

4. bent72

bent72 Desert Solitaire Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Build(s):
    There's not a whole lot out there

5. mrk5

Build(s):
    If you can come as far as Longmont or Fort Collins, there are several suitable trails like the one I just did Sunday. But to get to either of those 2 cities you're driving 3hrs into the state, maybe less if you're in the panhandle. A lot of people don't realize that's how far you have to drive into CO before you are "in the mountains".

If you are looking to stay in a hotel, there are lots of accommodations available between Ft Collins & Longmont. There is also camping up "in the mountains".

6. mrk5

Build(s):
    If you get here around the middle of September you can see some fall colors, which is even better. I love wheeling in the fall when you start to get that crisp autumn air.

7. nedceifus

Build(s):
    I'd come to FtCollins for sure. Are the trails pretty busy up there? I have a Colorado 4x4 trail book. What would be a good family weekend camping trail?

8. mrk5

Build(s):
    Not horribly busy. The most challenging is Kelly Flats. If you are reasonably comfortable with the ability of your rig, that would be fine. The hardest parts can be bypassed. If I was planning a trip to the Fort Collins area for wheeling, that's the trail I would do. Moody Hill is pretty good, the most challenging part on it is an old quartz quarry at the end of the trail that completely optional; basically just a play area. Others in the area are quite easy; Seven Mile and Ballard Road are pretty popular.

There used to be a fun one called Crystal Mountain but access to it has been closed off by private individuals (long story and not something the Forest Service is happy about actually).

There are some other nice ones further south like Middle St Vrain and Coney Flats. Johnny Park is fun and easy.

Most of the trails in that area of the mountains can be done with a single locker and 33" tires. The harder stuff is west and south.

I live 15 minutes east of Ft Collins.