CK5 Network
Become a member of the largest online community for Chevy K5 Blazer, Suburban and C/K series truck owners!

Converting Suburban rear window to manual

K588

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
I've searched on this but couldn't find all the answers.

When converting the rear tailgate window to a manual from power do you need just the hand crank or a new cam and lock cylinder also? Or can those parts be used from the power window?

I believe the only other part is the window regulator correct?

Any suggestions on best vendor to get them from quality wise?

Last edited:

Wes Harden

3/4 ton status
Premium Member
Solutions
Reaction score
you are talking about a rear passenger window not the tailgate glass. if you are doing just the window the manual regulator will exchange with the power, you will need the crank handle a plastic washer and a foam spacer, I got new foam spacer from LMC but they are much smaller than original, see pic. You might need to make a hole in the door panel for crank stem. I did a driver once the main power window switch was remove and the stem fit through existing hole. Not sure what the cam and lock cylinder unless tail gate, if tail gate my info is not what you need.

IMG_20190122_135811.jpg

T

tenderfoot

I've only ever been concerned with getting my hands on manual tailgates. I've never even looked at an electric regulator. I'm betting the regulators are different. Manuals are getting harder and harder to find. I would think the blazers & subs are the same internally?
If you find the manual regulator be aware there is a reverse threaded bolt on it. Don't, ask me how I know LMC sells a replacement bolt.

K588

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
Thanks, I'm just going to order all the parts.

Do you think the LMC one is as good as they get? I'm guessing they are all made in the same place.

T

tenderfoot

I'd want to find a tailgate with the manual reg in it. At least have someone else's handy or get some good pics so the install goes smooth with the new stuff. I have no idea if the LMC regs are good.

diesel4me

1 ton status
- In Memoriam -
Reaction score
Too bad someone hasn't come up with a way to make a power tailgate have a "socket" where the manual crank would go,so you could use a cordless drill to raise and lower the glass from the outside..

My 85 Burb's tailgate window barely worked last time I opened it to put a second rear seat someone gave me in it--was lucky I got the glass to go back up..
I bought a "good used" power tail gate for $40,it worked when I got it,but I never installed it yet--and I can tell it has been apart and worked on before....figured if the truck is going to sit and rot,I may as well finish off the original tail gate-its pretty roached ..

I was tempted to sell the Burb soon after I bought it,when I found out the pair of barn doors I bought for it required the rear of the truck to be re-constructed to install them..the salvage yard was nice enough to refund my money,but only because another customer had called looking for a pair..otherwise I'd have had to eat them..
Barn doors rule..tailgates---suck..

Top Bottom