Core support and fender trimming

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by mckustomfab, Dec 1, 2019 at 3:47 PM.

1. mckustomfab

mckustomfab 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Build(s):
    Anyone out there done a trim job on the core support? I know there is tons of info on trimming the fenders and I have already cut mine up quite a bit, now I need even more room. I am truing to keep this truck as low as possible and the new front axle i am swapping in has more steering travel than my old D60.

I am looking to cut my fenders, grill and core support below the head light and removing the turn signal. I am planning to add some supports back to the core support and the idea is to keep the inner fenders to keep the crap out of the engine compartment. I found a Dodge that 4Wheel and Offroad built for their Ultimate Adventure a few years back, it is very close to what I am looking to do but I cant find any good photos of the core support. Anyone done anything like this?!?

Here is their Dodge
    [​IMG]

This is what I am working on, you can see a line above the turn signal, that is where I would like to cut.
    [​IMG]

2. skunked

skunked phat block slush machine Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Build(s):
    The radiator support trimming is pretty straightforward and you should still have a couple bolts to keep the fender attached to it. Do you want the inner fender modified so it attaches to the radiator support?

3. mckustomfab

Build(s):
    Yeah, I plan to cut the inner fender and weld in some material to make it attach to the new raised core support section directly below the head light.

skunked likes this.
  4. imiceman44

imiceman44 Hoarder extraordinaire Premium Member

Build(s):
    I have not seen any details on this but that's exactly my goal and I am guessing you will be my Guinea pig :pimp:

5. mckustomfab

Build(s):
    No problem! I hope to start messing with this some after Christmas.