Custom dash inspiration

Discussion in 'Interior - Stock & Custom' started by WALREC, May 16, 2020.

1. WALREC

WALREC Registered Member Premium Member

Whats up guys n gals. Im about to rip the perfectly good dash out of my K5. Although it is not a necessity and there are tons of other things that need to be done before its trail ready,, they all cost money and i have all the materials on hand to build a custom dash. I have a good idea of how i want it to turn out and pretty sure the layout will work well. That being said, i would love to see any diy dashes yall might have built for some more ideas.

2. Bent77

Bent77 lil meanie Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

Build(s):
    nvrenuf likes this.
  3. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Build(s):

sounds like you're doing a full cage/panel style deal...

while I dig the DIY4X one, i really like the shape of the our pads, so i've tried to maintain those looks on some stuff i've done.... my K5 has a full metal version of the stock pad..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and here's just a bezel i recently did in Mutt out of composite glass...

[​IMG]

6872xtc, MEMO43, nvrenuf and 2 others like this.
  4. centexk5

centexk5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Build(s):
    Someone on here made a dash out of square tubing and I think diamond plate. Simple, functional, and looked really good. I'm contemplating doing the same with mine when I get to that point.

5. WALREC

WALREC Registered Member Premium Member

yea I went out n back for months on stock vs custom. I would see a stock dash and think, that's what I want,,(like yours Ryoken, that red on black is killer), see now you got me thinkin stock again,,,, then I would see an all out custom dash/console like a racing cockpit and of course that would be the bees knees. im not lookin to go all out race cockpit but a simple flat, angular style dash like what I think your referring to centexk5. I got it pretty close in my head just have to make it happen. I haven't really done anything yet that's worth documenting but I will probably try it on this project.

ryoken likes this.
  6. AZ79K5Project

AZ79K5Project 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Cut mine up, move an AC vent and custom mounts for the gauges. The dash cover is next.
    A2969155-D592-41A3-9EAF-11FF9570856E.jpeg
    32998B73-09E0-48AB-93B6-BF5F4CC06DAA.jpeg
    C144DF26-61B3-4B2F-AE9E-3CBE5369A2AB.jpeg

MEMO43 likes this.
  7. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

I kept the dash out of my '77 GMC that the previous owner made for it,it is very similar to the one pictured above!...
    It has a S-W tach,and 4 mechanical gauges for oil pressure,water temp,volts and vacuum,but I gave the S-W fuel gauge to my brother out of it for a truck he was building..it has the radio cut out in stock location and the "cubby hole" above it,they had an equalizer mounted in that spot..
    I have no pictures of it at the moment..have no use for it or plans to use it on anything ..I'll try to get a picture of it..

8. rhinoblzr

rhinoblzr 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Here's my dash. Simple layout.

IMG_20180909_225256_595.jpg

Desert_K5, ryoken and nvrenuf like this.
  9. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Build(s):

to be honest..... gutting it all and doing a plate, or tube/plate, etc type setup is vastly easier IMO.. working within the confines of keeping that dashpad style is challenging... part of the reason I did my K5 the way it is, was I wanted something unique and challenging, while showing props to some good factory styling... having console tube integrate into the factory dash was a neat idea i think.... albeit annoying and time consuming...

sometimes I think race inspired stuff is awesome, but maybe a bit soulless... I kind of feel that way about Kerts dash.. when i first saw it, as the only one, it was badarse... but once you see it in a 1/2 dozen rigs it loses the mystique some...

[​IMG]

rhinoblzr likes this.
  10. nvrenuf

nvrenuf I grind my welds. Premium Member

Build(s):
    I wish someone would produce this, an aluminum “cap” to replace the stock dash pad. It’s the best of both worlds, custom dash feel without having to cut the structure out of the truck.

(pics stolen from an eBay ad in the for sale forum)

4E489778-8587-4043-B07A-7F7FA7F669E7.jpeg

220E9361-B3EA-453A-AC6F-3916D9949F53.jpeg

ryoken, Desert_K5 and rhinoblzr like this.