dana 44 part help

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by chubbynova, Nov 22, 2005.

  1. chubbynova

    chubbynova Registered Member

    Oct 26, 2005
    Likes Received:
    Cypress Tx
    i am in the processe of changing the wheel bearings and brakes on my 77 k5 but i have a problem. i have a dana 44 and cannot find a part that i need to replace and i am unsure of the name of it. i belleive it is called the spindle. the kid at the parts store said there was no listing for a "spindle" on my blazer and he had never seen one before. the part i need is what the axle slides through and the wheel bearing slide onto this peice. it is threaded at the end and has two nuts that hold the hub assembly on. ( i damaged the threads while trying to get the inner bearing off).
    i dont have a digital camera or else i would take a picture for u. however i will be going to another parts store tommorrow and would like to know what to call this peice? also how much it might cost? will i have to go to a junkyard to get it? any help would be appreciated.

  2. diesel4me

    diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

    Jul 24, 2003
    Likes Received:
    fix the old one?

    I've had a few of those with boogered threads,and instead of scouring junkyards for one(which might be the only place to get one for an older truck,and new would likely be costly IF you can still get one..),I took it to a machine shop at a local auto parts store..they used a special tool that was like a two peice die that fixed the threads right up..charged me 15 bucks..if you DO find an axle at the junkyard,many don't want to sell parts off a complete good front end,they would rather sell only the whole front end..

    You might find one here in the "parts for sale" section..I have a pair from a 1971 1/2 ton K10,but I think your 77 will have different size inner wheel bearings than a 71 does..someone here probably has one.. :crazy:

Share This Page