CK5 Network
Become a member of the largest online community for Chevy K5 Blazer, Suburban and C/K series truck owners!

Disc brake conversion parking brakes

SpeedlabDan

Keepin it trashy never classy
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ok I'm researching parking brakes for my d70 drw that I'm converting to disc using Kurt's kit.
Being the same type setup as the more popular 14bff setup, what are yall runnin for the parking brake? Driveline cut brake? Pinion brake? Brand/manufacturer?
I've heard the possibility of a Cadillac caliper but I know nothing about that.
I'd like to keep it mechanical to work with the factory square body foot pedal.

6872xtc

make mine modified
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Solutions
Reaction score
FWIW , I have the Cadillac calipers on my 12 bolt. They don't hold well, I can easily drive through them, just barely hold at idle. I compare it to drums which can hold lots more. I know that even the little drum brake inside the rotor can't handle as much as the old huge drum brakes, but I feel that they are still better than the Cadillac calipers. Maybe I just have to make some linkage to increase the pull on the cables.

SpeedlabDan

Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
FWIW , I have the Cadillac calipers on my 12 bolt. They don't hold well, I can easily drive through them, just barely hold at idle. I compare it to drums which can hold lots more. I know that even the little drum brake inside the rotor can't handle as much as the old huge drum brakes, but I feel that they are still better than the Cadillac calipers. Maybe I just have to make some linkage to increase the pull on the cables.
I had the drum in rotor parking brakes on my 02 Silverado 1500 and they were completely useless even when adjusted so the drag. There's gotta be something better

rampage

3/4 ton status
Reaction score
I’ve often wondered why no one has tried using the rotor vents as a parking pawl. Can someone explain why this wouldn’t work or why it’s a bad idea. :dunno:

SpeedlabDan

Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
I’ve often wondered why no one has tried using the rotor vents as a parking pawl. Can someone explain why this wouldn’t work or why it’s a bad idea. :dunno:
Maybe for sisk of distortion to the rotor or damage? It is an interesting concept though

sweetk30

I build stuff
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
people call it a parking brake . but back in the day it was a EMERGENCY brake for oh crap . . . . it was also used as a parking brake .

the claw in the vent holes would snap stuff off and also you would need to roll the other way to get it to come out possibly .

and if you still want caddy calipers here ya go . new product from ruff stuff vendor here . https://www.ruffstuffspecialties.com/catalog/R2262-A.html

dont forget high angle driveline t-case parking brake kit . http://www.highangledriveline.com/e_brake.html

bp71k5

3/4 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
I’ve got the Cadillac calipers (TSM copies) and they work just ok. I can drive through them by accident sometimes, but I think the cable needs adjustment.

rampage

3/4 ton status
Reaction score
people call it a parking brake . but back in the day it was a EMERGENCY brake for oh crap . . . . it was also used as a parking brake .

the claw in the vent holes would snap stuff off and also you would need to roll the other way to get it to come out possibly .

and if you still want caddy calipers here ya go . new product from ruff stuff vendor here . https://www.ruffstuffspecialties.com/catalog/R2262-A.html

dont forget high angle driveline t-case parking brake kit . http://www.highangledriveline.com/e_brake.html
I realize that it serves a dual purpose but this is just for a parking brake. Never thought about it sticking though.

SpeedlabDan

Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score

I like the hi angle kit but it's pricey. I'm calling it a parking brake for my purpose of parking while towing I'd not like to rely just on the trans pawl.
Another issue I see with the drive line cut brake would be having an open rear ion gravel etc the traction would need to be even across the axle correct? I know it's probably unlikely but definitely possible in extreme case

frankin5

Super Mall Crawler
Premium Member
Reaction score
If the Cadillac caliper is properly adjusted off the rear axle in a vise, makes it easier to do. You also have to set the parking brake every time you use your vehicle to keep proper pad adjustment. Mine hold very well and i have the smaller version 79-85.

Bowtie85

Banned
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
I’ve got the Cadillac calipers (TSM copies) and they work just ok. I can drive through them by accident sometimes, but I think the cable needs adjustment.

Ive got tsm calipers on my 97.

I find once the ebrake is applied, pump the pedal a couple times and it holds just fine.

If I didn’t use truck to launch boats, I’d have not bothered wasting my time and money on the eldo Caliper swap. Would have just left the 10 bolt calipers on and called it a day.

wheels87k5

24 Karat
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
I have the larger caddy caliper brakes on my 14bff and they hold just fine. No problems with them. I think a lot of the problems with the caddy caliper is the adjustment. Once you have it dialed in, it holds like it's supposed to.
I've also read where some have spent a long time making adjustments and still can't get them to hold very good so your mileage may vary. :dunno:

Bowtie85

Banned
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
If the Cadillac caliper is properly adjusted off the rear axle in a vise, makes it easier to do. You also have to set the parking brake every time you use your vehicle to keep proper pad adjustment. Mine hold very well and i have the smaller version 79-85.

I stumbled across this as well, they say to use the e brake every now and than. I try and use it a couple times a month, seems to be working fine after 1.5 years on the road.

nvrenuf

Klaatu barada nikto
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
I bought a locking drifting lever/brake assembly off of eBay but since it requires 2 hands to actuate and lock I think it'll be a pita. I'm not thinking about a Jamar mechanical line lock.

Truckman4life

3/4 Ton Status
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm going to add a line lock to my blazer. It's an auto so not too concerned for normal use. Just want it for when I need it to hold on a hill off road or something. Driveline brakes are nice since they multiply the brake force by the gear ratio like on a Rockwell axle.

Foch

Registered Member
Reaction score
I am just starting the build on my 71 K5. I was thinking about a small disc like on a UTC for example drilled and mounted to the back of my 205 on the tail shaft. Then a separate pedal or lever in the cab to a line like. Using a small master cylinder like off the UTC or motorcycle. I don't think it needs to be very big to have the capacity to compress the caliper. So a line lock on a separate circuit.

Has anybody gone this route?

6872xtc

make mine modified
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Solutions
Reaction score
I am just starting the build on my 71 K5. I was thinking about a small disc like on a UTC for example drilled and mounted to the back of my 205 on the tail shaft. Then a separate pedal or lever in the cab to a line like. Using a small master cylinder like off the UTC or motorcycle. I don't think it needs to be very big to have the capacity to compress the caliper. So a line lock on a separate circuit.

Has anybody gone this route?
There are kits available to do this with a mechanical caliper. Then you don't have to mess with the hydraulic stuff, and it won't possibly bleed off, or lose grip due to thermal expansion. (cooling off)
I can't remember who has them right now, I have never used on, just removed one and sold it.

diesel4me

1 ton status
- In Memoriam -
Reaction score
I think a pinion mounted disc is better,then if you happen to lose the driveshaft,you'll still have an E-brake..
I'm not sure if a pinion brake would pass here for an E-brake..

Here,line locks aren't considered "legal" for on road use as an E-brake,as they can fail if a line pops or the master cylinder develops an issue,also they will not hold pressure for all that long,they bleed down eventually and will let the vehicle roll..

Top Bottom