Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE Membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Do you know any thing about this Chevy Motor??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by DaPlumber, Sep 11, 2005.

1. DaPlumber

DaPlumber 1/2 ton status

Im looking for a help with a 8.1LHO (496) Crate Motor (496), I am In need of a stand alone wiring harness and calibrated computer!!!
    These engines are a brand new GM design. GM has combined the previous standard GEN VI short block, with the latest LS1 Cylinder Head and Fuel Injection Technology. These engines have High Flow RECTANGLE (LS1 Cathedral shaped) SPREAD PORT 14 Degree Heads and a New Raised D-Shaped Exhaust ports, with 2.19 int. 1.72 exh. valves. These heads flow 340 on the int. and 250 exhaust. The block is a standard Gen. VI 4.25 bore, 4 bolt mains, Tall deck (10.2) Heavy Duty casting truck block. To increase strength they added (4) EXTRA Cylinder head bolts, making (5) per cylinder. These heads can only be used on these blocks. The fuel injection system is Identicle to the LS1. It has the same (SFI) Sequential Fuel Injection, with a low profile Aluminum intake manifold. It looks exactly like a giant LS1 intake. This engine has the same super efficent COIL ON PLUG IGNITION SYSTEM (distributorless), and a Large 75MM Throttle Body (LS1). This engine has a special Hydraulic Roller Cam with a smoother revised firing order 1-8-7-2-6-5-4-3. Like the LS1, this engine has Hyperutectic pistons( 9.5 to 1 ), Forged cracked cap rods (6.535), nodular Iron internally balanced (4.37) stroke Crankshaft, aluminum oil pan w/ windage tray, aluminum timing cover.
    Thank you for your time!!!

2. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status

Why not just buy the marine setup from GM?

3. ZooMad75

ZooMad75 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Build(s):
    I've thought of this too and done some research on the subject. Main thing is the electronics. Two routes one could go for a factory style setup (a third would be an aftermarket laptop based system). The first would be the Marine setup like cyberfire noted. From what I have found, the calibration files elminate some of the compremise for low emissions for more power. How much more is closer to what the marine output levels are (there are 3 that I know of). Plus the marine setup uses the smaller simpler PCM like the Ramjet 350's and Ramjet 502's (they got it from the Marine side anyway). Get the Marine harness and you are most of the way there. Havent priced out what these parts would cost though....

The other factory style option (better suited if you plan on running a 4L80e trans too) is to get a PCM and engine/trans wiring harness for a Workhorse P-32 RV Chassis (class a motorhome). Workhorse has used the 8.1 since before even GM put it into the HD trucks. The harness is much simpler than a 02 and up 2500/3500 truck since it does not have all the add BS items that a truck would have anyway. The harness does not have any extra circuits that a truck would have for other controls, accessories and what not.

Keep in mind that ALL truck/rv 8.1's are equipped with an electric "drive by wire" throttle system. This requires a seperate TAC (throttle actuation control) module and a specific Throttle pedal assembly (think of a pedal with a big rehostat on it). This is separate from the Engine harness and must be bought in addition to the main harness. I'm not sure if the marine 8.1 went drive by wire too, if not you might be able to use the marine throttle body with a cable throttle. Still the engine computer would have to be *adjusted* to realize this or it will lock it into limp home mode.

Unfortunately this engine has not yet caught on in the aftermarket so no one makes a generic kit to retrofit one of these into an older truck or car. You are left with traveling uncharted water's to find what works and go by trial and error from there. Won't be cheap as far as what I have found.

The aftermarket might be a good place to look. Find who makes an aftermarket system for an LS1 and see if it would convert over to the use on an 8.1. The injection systems are similar like you said, coil on plug Sequential injection, they might have to adjust their harness to fit the bigger engine as far as sensor and other harness connections besides the obvious changes to fuel and spark maps. It still won't be cheap but it might be cheaper in the long run than the other setups I described.

4. DaPlumber

DaPlumber 1/2 ton status

Lost!!!!!!!!!

:D CyberSniper, I know GM made a set up for this. But no one know what the He## Im talking about when I call parts!!!

You have done some research ZooMad75 now an electric "drive by wire" Throttle pedal assembly Is $85.00 TAC (throttle actuation control) module $175.00

The BIG thing you did not say any thing about Is to use a lap top or cyberfire or a fast type Is you need the CAM INFO!!! Thats what I need..

At the time I don't think you can use a drive by wire system on a marine drive line!!!