Does an 81 and up dash pad fit a 79

Discussion in 'Interior - Stock & Custom' started by zackmoxley, Aug 20, 2016.

1. zackmoxley

zackmoxley Registered Member Premium Member

I have an aftermarket dash pad on my 79 and it doesn't fit all that well. They make an OER dash that is suppose to be a higher quality but it says it is for 81 and up trucks. Does anyone know the difference between the two and can they be interchanged?

2. rpcraft

rpcraft 1/2 ton status

Build(s):
    From everything I have been told the only difference overall is that the 81 up dashes have a flat area over where the glove box and ash tray door are and then the older ones are angled but that the newer style dash will fit but I do not know this personally. Pretty sure someone will chime in here as soon as they wake up and get some coffee.. Lord knows I need some, lol...

The other thing that will also be slightly different is the trim pieces that go right above the glove box, because the newer dash has a little piece that curves out, but I am unsure if it is just that little corner piece, or the rest of the insert that is shaped somewhat differently as well. Don't forget to get you some of the new Dash clips as well because they don't reshape back too well.

73 - 80 dash
    [​IMG]

81 - 91 dash

[​IMG]