CK5 Network
Repairing, restoring or modifying your ride just got a whole lot easier!

Dual battery setup

fordeater

1/2 ton status
Reaction score
I want to install a second battery in my rig cause i run KC lights and a stereo system etc.... what is the best way to run the batteries? I don't even know how i should wire them up. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I already got the drivers side battery tray, and i'm gonna run dual optimas. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

84_Chevy_K10

Banned
Reaction score
cheesyschematic.jpg

4xcrazy

3/4 ton status
Reaction score
I plan on doing the same thing, i will be using a battery isolator and running all aftermarket stuff (lights,stereo, whatever else) to that second battery and keep the primary factory battery used soley for the starting purposes.
I have been told that the dealer sells a passenger side battery tray for like $25 or so for the dual setup, going to check in to it myself.

big83chevy4x4

3/4 ton status
Reaction score
i plan on using a marine switch for the batteries. the place near me want $25 for the switch. the hook up is very simple, run both positive cables to the switch and 1 cable to the starter /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

84_Chevy_K10

Banned
Reaction score
I have a $5 quick disconnect. I simply disconnect my 2nd battery when I'm going to let my truck sit more than overnight. No issues with leaving it overnight and hitting the key in the morning.

Other setups rely on switches, solenoids, or relays. I am not lazy, I just open my hood and hook it up.

4xcrazy

3/4 ton status
Reaction score
[ QUOTE ]

I am not lazy, I just open my hood and hook it up.

[/ QUOTE ]

You hit it on the head there bubba, /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif Ya see, I AM lazy, /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif i like the convenience of the automatic operation of the isolator charging the battery that needs it, and using each battery for its intended purpose, without having to pop the hood. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

84gmcjimmy

1 ton status
Reaction score
[ QUOTE ]
Tj , when you renew use the name 4xlazy /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

Tweetysuarus

1/2 ton status
Reaction score
I am using a daul battery switch control in the cab on the dash like this. It is the big red and black thing on the dash:
5303dash2.JPG
Makes it quite conveinent to switch up as necessary.
Bill

CyberSniper

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
The search feature is your friend...

isolator.jpg

I have a pushbutton that activates the Furd starter solenoid shown in my diagram above. It is located in the ashtray.

ashtrayopen.JPG

Top Bottom