Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE Membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

dual exhaust

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BeaterBurb90, Aug 29, 2006.

1. BeaterBurb90

BeaterBurb90 Newbie

does anyone know where to get a good dual exhaust kit, preferably direct fit. i have an '87 blazer with flowtech headers and i am having trouble getting something to fit.

2. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Build(s):
    Just let the local Meineke bend one up... Our local guy rocks... cheap too...

3. Metrodps

Metrodps Strange but nice guy GMOTM Winner Author

Build(s):
    Well for stock duals I would go with LMC they are for a long bed but easy to trim. If you have the header flange to regular just use them $169.95 and no worries about any missing parts ;)
    http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/bzc/0093.html

Been on my truck almost a year and still great I drive it almost every day.

4. Chevy305

Chevy305 6 Lug 14bsf Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Build(s):
    X2 on LMC exhaust

5. tiger9297

tiger9297 1/2 ton status

I had looked at the LMC exhaust for my '90 K5. It doesn't say it will fit a '90 but seems like it should. Am I correct in assuming it will? Also, I'm in the process of putting in a MPFI 468. Would this exhaust work w/ a BBC?

6. tiger9297

tiger9297 1/2 ton status

When most of the "local" shops bend the pipes don't they have a crimp in them that reduces the size of the pipe unless they are mandrel bent? Can Meineke do this?

7. Metrodps

Build(s):
    They should fit.... Go to an auto parts store and look at the exhaust pipe book for a 1973 - 1978 Blazer with a big block and compare the pipes in the pictures. In most cases where the body hasn't changed I believe you can use earlier pipes on vehicles.
    I say this based on the fact that I put dual system on a 1980 Camaro Z28 using 1974 pipes just had to modify the doughnut flange and shorten the pipes before muffler. The basic V design of motors should be the same and exhaust manifolds haven't changed that much. Check the exhaust manifold styles to compare.

8. SkysTheLimit

SkysTheLimit 1/2 ton status

I called around and none of the meineke / midas / etc shops did mandrels much less the 3" pipe i want. I found a guy around the corner from my house who's going to do mine but he's a independant shop not tied to a big chain.

I looked at the LMC pipes too but they're too small. Like 2.25 i think. Maybe 2.5.

9. tiger9297

tiger9297 1/2 ton status

Yea I'm being told I need 3" pipe for the BBC. You would think that in all of these off-road magazines there would be a place that sells complete exhaust kits for out trucks. Anyone, know of one? I definitely want to buy a mandrel bent kit. No need in going w/ 3" pipes if they are going to be shrunk down to 2" in the bends.

10. Chevy305

Chevy305 6 Lug 14bsf Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Build(s):
    Ya the LMC exhaust wouldn't compliment a healthy big block.

I think Flow Master makes at least cat back systems for our trucks :dunno:

11. tiger9297

tiger9297 1/2 ton status

Flowmaster is very proud of their products too. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ I want to run two pipes w/ two mufflers from the engine back. I definitely don't want to have to pay for two flowmasters.

12. Col_Sanders

Col_Sanders 3/4 ton status

I think Summit Racing has a couple full kits with mandrel bends. I think they are 2.5" though. I had a local shop do mine recently.

13. Metrodps

Build(s):
    I got your Jeep thing and now it burns when I pee!

At the risk of being an old fart. I feel that if the BB needed bigger pipes then back in the 70's they would of come from the factory that way. The 1979 C20 I had with a 454 in it only had 2.5" pipes. Unless you have so radically changed your motor most engines need some back presure.

Before you start pulling out flow test remember I said "most", not all engines. If you want the bang just run headers and straight pipes :rolleyes: or while your at it go with stainless steel pipes for it. All I am saying is it is your truck you decide what you want and do it. The key here was a good dual exhaust kit, preferably direct fit.

14. tiger9297

tiger9297 1/2 ton status

2.5" may be fine, if I can get a kit w/ a good fit then that works for me. I don't want LOUD I just want a good low rumble.

15. TeK

TeK 1/2 ton status

when I swap in the 572 I'm building I'll be running some drag style headers w/ 4" collectors into 3" pipe into a pair of spintech XL mufflers into 3.5" pipe after that.

16. Metrodps

Build(s):
    I don't have digital video recorder or I would go out and record what mine sounds like. As best as I can describe the LMC system it has a lower level sound as far a db than stock Harley for the throaty level. I get looks when I get into mine with a hard foot.

I have paid more for exhaust and not been as happy. I priced the parts from Murray's Auto parts and was shocked! If you want a good sound that won't get you a ticket or draw attention to you then yes go with LMCs. By the way I have had a Harley *loud pipes save lives*, true race cars 1/4 mile use only and street toys with headers and all the jazz of the 70's *including Nitrous Oxide and I love my exhaust on my Blazer.

17. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Build(s):

Well.... I'm spoiled.... Our local Meineke guy is amazing.... 10 time bender of the year awards and all that... and yes, he does mandrel bends... Very, very reasonable prices too...

I just sent a kid from work over there for exhaust on his Dakota.... He loved it, and the price.... Bought me lunch for turning him on to the place...

18. gmc4cw

gmc4cw 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I have a complete setup from Dynomax on my truck. it's 2.5" and mandrel bent. the kit only comes with pipe you need to buy the mufflers seperate. was about $150 couple years back.