Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE Membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Electric windows or MANual?

Discussion in 'Interior - Stock & Custom' started by Rat_Crispy, May 7, 2017.

?

Manual or electric windows

1. Manual

66.7%
  2. Electric

33.3%
  1. Rat_Crispy

Rat_Crispy Registered Member Premium Member

Build(s):
    OK folks this is the situation that I'm in right now.
    I'm working on my 81 blazer that was originally equipped with electric windows. Unfortunately my factory doors had a little bit of cancer on the bottoms of them but I was lucky enough to score a really nice set of CUCV doors off of my girlfriends dad!

Here inlies the problem!
    Do I drill a hole in the new doors and put in an electric regulator Or do I just keep the manual crank up windows And unplug the factory harness inside of the body?

I have absolutely no problems with manual windows . To me it seems like less of a hassle and I really miss the era of when trucks were actually trucks and didn't have electric windows and everything else in them.
    Do you think I should keep the electric windows Or should I Go the manual route?

Decide my fate !!!

2. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

I prefer manual windows too--less BS to go wrong,I had enough of power windows with my Buick Electra,it always balked when it came to lowering or raising the drivers side window at a drive thru,you had to "help" the window up & down often,you could hear gears skipping the last few inches before closing,and it also let anyone who wanted to get in to just slide the glass down and open the door!..

My '85 Burb has power windows,to my dismay..the longer it sits,the less the windows want to work,and the tailgate window is probably the worst to fix and most likely to fail..

Manual window cranks & gears do wear out too eventually,but it takes a lot longer--all of my GM trucks with manual windows have sloppy drivers side window cranks and gearboxes,but they still work..it pays to keep the window channel felts and weatherstripping lubed with silicone grease or spray so it'll be less drag on the cranking mechanism..
    I found out at the junkyard you can drill out the rivets on the "box" holding the cranking gears together,and "most" window crank gears from the rear doors on GM cars of the same era the trucks were from,would interchange...and since the rear windows see much less use.(most never get opened at all and the gears are like new)--you can rebuild you truck ones,you had to open up both gearboxes and swap gears,the box itself is different for the rear,but uses the same gears as front doors..
    You can pop rivet or use self tappers to screw the gearbox back together..

Rat_Crispy likes this.
  3. Rat_Crispy

Rat_Crispy Registered Member Premium Member

Build(s):
    That's pretty genius, you're right, they wouldn't be as worn out as the fronts !

4. HankScorpio

HankScorpio Registered Member Premium Member

I never minded manual windows in my single cab, I could lean over and reach the passenger side ok. When I got my crew cab I learned to love the power windows. I think it really depends on application. I have repaired both kinds for many different failures. Both manual and power windows will wear and break like anything else. Old trucks need maintenance, no way around it. Go with the ones you like, parts are readily available for either.

Rat_Crispy likes this.