Emery County Utah Public Land Management Act of 2018

Discussion in 'Land Use' started by Truckman4life, Feb 7, 2019.

1. Truckman4life

Truckman4life 3/4 Ton Status Premium Member

Build(s):
    Figured I'd throw this on here it's in Utah down by I70 I believe. I don't know a lot about it other than what I have heard recently. It was originally supposed to help the offroad community but has morphed into something leaning more towards the tree hugger community. No one for sure says what it is going to do to existing trails. The county commissioners say that they were worried about a future president easily taking land away from us by designating another monument so this is supposed to protect that from happening. Basically taking one bad deal in exchange for a possibility of a future worse bad deal that may or may not ever happen. They had a big meeting the other day and most everyone in the county opposes it from what I have seen but the commissioners still voted to support the bill in Congress. It looks like they are doing it for the money from some mineral leases and school trust lands. They say that the existing trails will be set up as a right of way through the wilderness area but all the offroad community posts I've seen on FB say that they will most likely just start shutting them down and blocking them off. Plus a lot of the trails are not officially designated routes so they would be easily closed under the bill. I do not know if it was voted on in Congress yet. They were thinking that would happen this week. Anyways it's a sad deal that they are trying to take more land and trails away from responsible offroad use. This will open things up for more land to be taken away by the tree hugger community in the future I'm sure. https://www.congress.gov/bill/115th...27/text#toc-H92A12AAEAC63401494E71266F3C8016C

2. imiceman44

imiceman44 Hoarder extraordinaire Premium Member

Build(s):
    Well after reading the whole bill, I can see how it could be bad for off road trails, but it is not set in stone yet.
    It will definitely restrict any new trails opening and I don't think it is really necessary but it will take a lot of legwork from the local communities and enthusiasts in a very diplomatic way to make sure that all the nice trails be included in the map.
    There's a 2 year period for that to happen so we know tree huggers already mobilized and we should be there too.
    We faced a similar situation on the Rubicon trail in 2002 and we were very proactive and we went to county meetings and offered our professional and non professional help and we were able to prevent the complete shutdown.
    Later on there was another issue with too much human waste on the lake shores and we had to work on that too.
    It takes a lot of work and education to keep fighting the greenies.

Truckman4life likes this.
  3. Truckman4life

Truckman4life 3/4 Ton Status Premium Member

Build(s):
    The bill passed in Congress this past week.