CK5 Network
Become a member of the largest online community for Chevy K5 Blazer, Suburban and C/K series truck owners!

Engine mount question for a 1970 jimmy

Cadden

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
so being that it was already apart when I got this thing. I'm wanting to double check to make sure I'm getting this in right

See pictures. That looks like the only way they'll go on this thing.

20200519_141141.jpg

20200519_141207.jpg

Cadden

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
here's what I'm used to seeing 73 up chevy 350

20200519_121257.jpg

Wes Harden

3/4 ton status
Premium Member
Solutions
Reaction score
I think you have 2 different mount systems there. the rusty/orange mount in upper picture, is an old school mount I would expect to see in a sixtes gm car. Also the mount that lets the engine leap out of car when fails.
The buckets (bolt on to block) in lower picture are for the clam shell type mounts.
I like the ORD or Diy4x mounts. used these on my 77 https://diy4x.com/product.php?productid=17692&cat=252&page=1

see you have a 1st gen you would need this kit to up grade
https://diy4x.com/product.php?productid=17688&cat=252&page=1

if you use the oem style, add a cable\strap\chain left side of motor to frame leave a little slack

Cadden

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
I think you have 2 different mount systems there. the rusty/orange mount in upper picture, is an old school mount I would expect to see in a sixtes gm car. Also the mount that lets the engine leap out of car when fails.
The buckets (bolt on to block) in lower picture are for the clam shell type mounts.
I like the ORD or Diy4x mounts. used these on my 77 https://diy4x.com/product.php?productid=17692&cat=252&page=1

see you have a 1st gen you would need this kit to up grade
https://diy4x.com/product.php?productid=17688&cat=252&page=1

if you use the oem style, add a cable\strap\chain left side of motor to frame leave a little slack

Ouch 300 bucks for that kit eh? I think I'll just reinforce like you said with a chain.

Cadden

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
I got it in. Once I finish up freshening up my manual trans and np205 they go in next.
Then the fun of a complete painless wiring kit and hooking up the rest of the exhaust

20200519_183213.jpg

20200519_204710.jpg

6872xtc

make mine modified
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
Yes, that is how they get installed.
I have done the chain trick before, I custom made cable tether would be trick in my mind.
I have a bolt installed through the mount on the left side, which became a stud going through the frame mount. It makes it a little trickier to install, but hasn't been a problem in either of my trucks.

Wes Harden

3/4 ton status
Premium Member
Solutions
Reaction score
the cable is GM's fix. My wife's Grandfather's 68 caprice classic had the recall done from GM. I wish I had pictures. iirc cable went from power steering bracket at exhaust manifold to frame.

bp71k5

3/4 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
Apparently you never had old tired mounts when you were a teenager!
Nothing like feeling the engine drop back down while you are doing things that your Dad wouldn't approve of!
:haha:

:doah:

maybe a problem in a car more than a 5000lb truck. :waytogo:

diesel4me

1 ton status
Premium Member
- In Memoriam -
Reaction score
Early GM trucks (like 67-72 year models) used that type of motor mount,as did most of their cars like Chevelles & Impalas..
I had a '69 K10 Suburban chassis with a '72 Chevelle station wagon mounted on it with a 454/TH350 that had those mounts--never broke one,but I was always leery it would someday..

My dad had a '68 Chevelle wagon that was on the recall list for motor mount failure,and I still have one of those cables from another car I owned that the dealer installed..
I believe they re-designed aftermarket mounts of that type with a safety catch so if the rubber separated ,the mount could not fully pull apart..I put a safety chain on my wagon's 454 on the drivers side to the frame, "just in case"..

I still have some kicking around I got in boxes of leftover parts friends gave me from old GM cars & trucks,might even be some new ones in there..I bought two 307 V8's last year ,they came from a '70 Chevy pickup and a '71 Chevelle and both still have those mounts bolted to them..

SpeedlabDan

Keepin it trashy never classy
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
That's correct but do yourself a huge favor and ditch the entire c member for a Diy4x detachable unit. Just got one for mine bc I'm tired of supporting the engine and fumbling around with 12 nuts and bolts to remove the entire thing every time you want to drop the pan. Kurt's mounts won't separate under load like the factory units either as they're bushing style.
Diy4x.com

Cadden

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
I think I will someday. For now though since I don't plan on hot rodding it like crazy or doing anything to serious off road ill do the cable.

The moumts are brand new at least.

warrpath4x4

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
Apparently you never had old tired mounts when you were a teenager!
Nothing like feeling the engine drop back down while you are doing things that your Dad wouldn't approve of!
:haha:

:doah:

LOL i did! i could tell as soon as it let go to, THUD "time to limp it home and change another mount out"

Then i chained the engine down to the frame.

SpeedlabDan

Keepin it trashy never classy
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
I put it off for a few years but alas I have to drop the pan on this stupid sbc again to reseal the main cap in the rear:doah:It's time

Top Bottom