Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

factory lockers?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 72 K5, Oct 19, 2005.

1. 72 K5

72 K5 Newbie

I am wanting to put disc brakes on my 72 blazer along with a locker and gears, so I have decided that it would be cheaper to swap out the axle with a newer axle with disc brakes. Either another 12-bolt or a 14-bolt, but it will need to be a 6 lug set-up. Should I look for a unit with a factory locker? How does a factory locker compare to an aftermarket locker? Will a gear set (4.56) be more expensive and harder to install? I would also like to get a axle that is closer in lenght to the front axle (67.5" WMS to WMS).

2. txfiremank5

txfiremank5 1/2 ton status

In the case of GM, they always called thier limited slips, "lockers, or locking rear ends". But, it's still just a limited slip.. not what we call a locker. So, the vast mojority of any factory axles you find will probably come with the limited slip. It's only been in rescent years, that I'm aware of, that auto manuf. have started offering vehicles (like the jeep rubicon) etc with lockers.

3. resurrected_jimmy

resurrected_jimmy 1/2 ton status

No such luck with a factory locker, stay away from the posi units and just get a good after market unit.... gears are gears weather the manufacturer machines them to 3.73 or 4.56 the cost difference is minimal