feasible, sacrireligious, or stupid swap?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by blowedupmotor87, May 6, 2007.

1. blowedupmotor87

blowedupmotor87 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Here's the deal, I've got 10 bolts under the Jimmy. In the garage, I have my buddies D60 and 14BFF that he was going to use for a project truck that he gave up on. He has since sold the truck but, the axles are still here. The 14BFF of course would be an easy swap but, the front 60 well, there's the question, it's a Furd axle. Nice one though, completely rebuilt, reverse rotiation, warn premium hubs, new rotors, discs, calipers, nice. What's the spring pad width on an 87 K5 Jimmy? Other than the t-case, the t-case crossmember, the exhaust and the front driveshaft, what else would need to change? I have been kicking around the idea of swapping in a lomax case to replace my 208 so, I could use a Furd one (to use the rear axle I'd have to swap to a t-case that can have a t-case mounted parking brake anyway), my exhaust could use replacing (it's new but, kindy junk setup), I had already figured on needing to replace the t-case crossmember with most any swap, so basically all those things are pretty fluid in concept at the moment. So, as long as the axle can bolt in I'd be good right, will it? Oh yeah, steering, I want crossover anyway. So, what do y'all think, would it be worth it, or should I forget about it and just buy a standard GM 60 later? Also, big question is spring pad width 'cause I do NOT want to have to get a new front spring mount set up fabbed. Thanks!:D

2. 1977k5

1977k5 1 ton status Vendor

3. blowedupmotor87

blowedupmotor87 1/2 ton status Premium Member

That is a very informative link, thanks 38377k5!:D Looks like I may not be able to do it based of the spring pad spacing though. What the issue about the knuckles, are the Furd's that much weaker, are there after market options (like Dedenbear, etc.), or would it be better just to start out with a GM axle in the first place?