Welcome To CK5!
Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.
Score a FREE Membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.
Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 72K561, Apr 5, 2006.
I have a stock 72 k5 blazer and this is my first 4x4. Any recommendations on what to do first?
well first there are a few...
1. Welcome to the site
2. Only need to post it once in the same forum.. plus please dont post the same thing in multiple forums.. that ticks some people off...
3. got any pics of your truck
4. what do you plan on doing with your truck... daily driver, full weekend warrior.. rock crawler, mall crawler, trail rider, diggin to hell in mud???
5. You in school or are you a millionare? (this way we know your budget)
that is a few to get you started....
First things First, FRAME BRACE! Get the weld in and the bolt in. Your frame will thank you for it.
Sell it and save yourself thousands of dollars....j/k
Buy a membership here, it will save you time and money, and possibly hair. Read this forum for a while .
Welcome, use the search at the top, lots of useful info. Let see some pics of you truck.
He's got a 1st Gen K5.....comes from the factory with an extra brace already installed on the inside of the framerail.
As for the original question:
1. Buy a simple recovery kit (Hi-Lift Jack, Shovel, Tow Strap)
2. Make sure your truck has safe recovery points on the front and rear (a bumper or leafspring is NOT a good one)...real tow hooks are what you're after.
3. Air down your tires to around 15 psi
4. Go see what she can do at a local OHV park....you will probably be surprised what even a "stocker" can do if you've never tried wheeling before....and if you get stuck, you have the basics to get pulled back out.
great points.... definitely what you need...
although I just thought of one...
5. NEVER WHEEL ALONE!!! need another vehicle..
cant tell you how many time that got me
tow points.. I got factory front tow hooks and love em... rear i dont have any extration points.... but i got a 15k ramsey to pull myself out!!!!!
since you double posted...
Other than that, listen to what everyone else has said as well.. All VERY good insight.
Man this is going ot be one long thread pretty soon. Anyway, I agree with the test-wheeling( that was in the other thread, I believe). After that comes a lift, tires, axles, etc. It all depends on what you want it to do when you're done. Congrats on your first k5. And it's a first gen too!
Start with the small things first. You never know how stupid the previous owner was until you start looking around. ( I found my carb bolts were loose and he was driving it!) Replace all the fliuds. Check out the 69-72 section. take her out wheeling, I was really surprised how well my 71 did the first time I took it out.
I think I win for having the "Least Intelligent Previous Owner"... Beyond all the hacked wiring, drilled Hella headlights with strobes mounted in them, wood blocks holding the seats to the mounting brackets, lockouts on a non-part time NP203, broken rocker on #5 intake valve...
Need I continue?
Separate names with a comma.