CK5 Network
Repairing, restoring or modifying your ride just got a whole lot easier!

flex plate and engine running

mccomas

1/2 ton status
Reaction score
if i have my transmission and torque converter removed, is it ok for me to start and run my engine to watch my flex plate and ensure that it does not have any "wobble" to it?

big83chevy4x4

3/4 ton status
Reaction score
ive done it before, when i had my tranny out and exhaust off (headers) /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

FWP

CRS
Premium Member
Reaction score
[ QUOTE ]
yes, its fine, stay away from the flexplate though

[/ QUOTE ]

Most definitely... Be carefull dude, that thing could rip you a new one /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

75-K5

3/4 ton status
Reaction score
Yeah, we started a 350 on the stand with nothing attached. No flexplate, exhaust (open valves /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif) just for a second to see if it ran OK. I was standing in front of it and the fan pulley flew off and went between my legs. Missed the twins by .0001"

big83chevy4x4

3/4 ton status
Reaction score
how did you start it will no flex plate? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

that musta freaked you out /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

southernspeed

1/2 ton status
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
Do you have an engine mount that I don't?? Secure the motor well or you'll bust/bend the distributer! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

tarussell

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
Take all the precautions you can think of and DO NOT get rev happy . Your motor will rev FASTER than ever before due to lack of converter weight. Beacareful not to kill your motor by over reving of reving to quickly !
Tom

lukebaby1

1/2 ton status
Reaction score
What are you supporting the rear of the engine with when the tranny is out? Why not just remove the flexplate and check it for warp, by laying it down on a flat surface, or just replace it all together. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

jasonkh2tg

1/2 ton status
Reaction score
I would not recommend you do that....take the plate off and check it if there is any question....also how is the back of the engine supported..???

mccomas

1/2 ton status
Reaction score
a couple of you are asking how i am supporting the rear of the engine... i am not sure yet. my tranny install instructions state that i need to support the rear but tell me not to place a support under the oil pan. there are a few areas that i can get a bottle jack into but this will not work if i am going to run it to observe the flex plate. at first, i did not realize how inexpensive the flex plate was (35 to 45 bones). i am working with a 95 crate motor; if the flex plate looks flaky in anyway, i am just going to replace it.

75-K5

3/4 ton status
Reaction score
[ QUOTE ]
how did you start it will no flex plate? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

that musta freaked you out /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif I don't know why I said that. /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif Flexplate was indeed on, but nothing else was. And yes, it was very freaky, and my dad and neighbor pissing their pants laughing didn't make it any better. /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

Top Bottom