Flywheel to pressure plate alignment dowel info needed.

mrgoodwrench

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
I bought a luk flywheel and luk clutch kit for my upcoming auto to manual swap. The flywheel has holes but no alignment dowels for the pressure plate. I contacted a few places and no one seems to have any. Contacted 1 luk retailer and he said they dont use them anymore. This seems odd every clutch i have ever done has had pressure plate alignment dowels and the the flywheel and pressure plate both have holes for them. Im having a difficutlt time finding them locally and cant find a listing online. I stopped by my local engine and machine shop (they also resurface flywheels) and they had nothing that would fit. Best i can see they are very close to 5/16 (5/16 fits with no wiggle but not press fit like it should be) My flywheel is luk part number LFW376 and my clutch kit is luk 04-170 anyone know where i can get dowels or a part number or exact demensions ao i can track some down online? Thanks mike

Bent77

lil meanie
Staff member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
Flywheel for a 2 piece seal crank?

fwiw, the dowel should be in the crank

mrgoodwrench

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
Flywheel for 1 piece rear main. The flywheel to crank dowel is in the crank like it should be what im looking for is the flywheel to pressure plate dowels.

Bent77

lil meanie
Staff member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
Sorry I read that wrong. I’d have to go look at the flywheel I have under the bench to see if it has dowels in it

Gentleman Jimmy

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
I had to pull the dowels out of my flywheel when mating up my sm465 to an ls2, I just used ARP bolts that had a shoulder. No issues.

Last edited:

Bent77

lil meanie
Staff member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
Might be the best option. No dowels here

TreeFarm

Internet fabricator.
Premium Member
Reaction score
You do not need the alignment dowels. Most of the gm flywheels I have used never came with them. The ones that did come with them I had to remove them. For example, putting a early style sm465 clutch on an LS flywheel. The bolts will provide enough alignment.

mrgoodwrench

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hmm interesting to hear people arent using them. I did already buy arb bolts.

TreeFarm

Internet fabricator.
Premium Member
Reaction score
I will say that some of the later engine OEM pressure plate bolts I have come across have been shouldered. But all of the older gen 1 stuff I have messed with have just been regular 3/8" bolts with split ring lock washers. I have always just used regular grade 8 bolts except for the LS I did, that got ARP because they are metric and I didn't have any metric bolts laying around.

frankin5

Super Mall Crawler
Premium Member
Reaction score
As long as you have an alignment tool for the disc, just match up the bolt holes and be done.

mrgoodwrench

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
I think i will just shove 3 pieces of 5/16 rod (fits very well) in the alignment holes during assembly so i know its all straight then remove the rods once i have the bolts torqued down thanks all for the responses

Top Bottom