CK5 Network
Repairing, restoring or modifying your ride just got a whole lot easier!

front clip swap..

79k5383

Registered Member
Reaction score
I am a newbie to this forum but I am very active in many other forums, I have a 89 K-5 and a 79 K-5. I know all 80's years front clips are interchangeable, My friend just told me, to put the clip from the 89 on my 79 i would have to lengthen the frame...... Is this true or is it a direct Bolt On. He said the older fenders are shorter. The 79 I got has 4k original miles on it, but is a bit beat up due to being used to plow a lot its whole life. However it was kept indoors. Thanks in advance for any input.

Muddytazz

1 ton status
Reaction score
whoever told you that you have to lengthen the frame is full of sh!t. In order to put an 80's from clip on a 70's rig, all you have to change is the hood, fenders(inner and outer)and core support. You DO NOT have to lengthen the frame /forums/images/graemlins/shame.gif

79k5383

Registered Member
Reaction score
THANX!!!! Yea I suspected he was, although he does know his Chevy trucks, he has about 8 or 9 full size pickups, but i think he is after something else here, He really really wants that clip for himself. and i dont want to give it up. So thanks again.

CyberSniper

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
It's an easy swap except for the way the 73-80 hood hinges on the vehicle. If you can manage to get them right next to each other and look at that part of the cab then you'll see what I mean. Other than that, everything else is bolt on. You'll want to keep the core support mounts with their respective frames though.

The cab part of the swap is too much work for me to want to mess with.

bablazer73

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
Most of the parts bolt on. The only things you have to make fit, are the hood hinges. They get recessed into the cowl panel. You will need the wiper pivots and all the cowl trim from the newer truck. Unless you don't care about the cowl panel. I did the nose swap on my 76 and my 73.

Top Bottom