CK5 Network
Become a member of the largest online community for Chevy K5 Blazer, Suburban and C/K series truck owners!

Fuel Injection or Carburetor?

Jason Thompson

Registered Member
Reaction score
CK5 members that have switched to fuel injection could you please tell me the pros and cons? Also, could you tell me what type of fuel injection that you converted to Holley Sniper, FiTech, FAST, MSD, etc...? Had a friend switch to fuel injection because he was four wheeling up a mountain and the carb cut out which in turn left him with no power steering and brakes. I was thinking of converting and wanted your input, thanks.

T

tenderfoot

he was four wheeling up a mountain and the carb cut out which in turn left him with no power steering and brakes
I had this happen once. It was before I put a 4" lift in it and went from 33s to 35s. Lower center of gravity. It's the only explanation of why I didn't roll.
You may want to post in the garage about what problems your having with your current set up. May get a better response?

dyeager535

1 ton status
Premium Member
Solutions
Reaction score
CK5 members that have switched to fuel injection could you please tell me the pros and cons? Also, could you tell me what type of fuel injection that you converted to Holley Sniper, FiTech, FAST, MSD, etc...? Had a friend switch to fuel injection because he was four wheeling up a mountain and the carb cut out which in turn left him with no power steering and brakes. I was thinking of converting and wanted your input, thanks.

Fuel injection is a different learning curve. You've got electrical components governing how it runs versus mechanical. Most don't tune carbs right (or can't) so "complexity" with fuel injection is a moot point IMO.

I've heard it said that FI does everything it can to keep an engine running. A carb does everything it can not to.

FI, setup properly, is easier starting, cleaner burning, and usually better running. I suspect the lowest *cost* option is to find a donor TBI truck, and swap it all over. That doesn't factor time. For non-stock engines, any of the aftermarket options that get good reviews are going to be "easier", although probably more costly. Just depends on what kinds of deals you can get.

beags86

Eastbound and Down
Reaction score
Well there hasn't been a factory carbureted vehicle, for 30 something years. So....yeah..... Probably something behind that.....

Weird Beard

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
I swapped the MSD Atomic TBI on my 67 Buick wagon. I used their distributor so I could use the timing control. Works awesome. I used FiTech on a buddies 71 C10. Minor hot start issue with their fuel command, but did 3300 miles on Hot Rod power tour last year without hitch.

stillnotbob

Registered Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I went with MSD Atomic on my '77 K5. Mostly because I live in California and it is the only "smog legal" choice for me. No issues and all the benefits of fuel injection. I also like the fact that I can later add an MSD ignition and have the FI computer control the timing. I do not have a lot on time on it yet, but so far it works fine. I also went with a in-tank fuel pump. Mainly because years ago I had a Holley analog FI system and their in-line fuel pump went out what seemed like every six months. I then ran a carb (JET stage 2 Quadrajet "custom" built by them for my 383) for years while waiting for a company to make a smog legal system. Now back to running a FI system and happy with the results so far.

A lot of people swear by other brands of FI that they have used, but I cannot comment on those.

AV8TER

1/2 ton status
Reaction score
After going EFI I will NEVER use a carb on a 4X4 again. I just runs. It's always perfect and never hiccups. Plus, mixture is correct regardless of air temp or altitude. The first big block I had (in the K5) was TBI and it was great. This one has port and is great too. I use marine fuel injection systems but that's my living so the stuff just falls in my lap. It's like what they use on a Ram Jet crate engine. Anyways, my vote is fuel injection.

sweetk30

I build stuff
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
what brand do you THINK you want ? ? ?

do lots and lots of reading first on the forums .

here is holley forum for sniper . its o.k. just watch your self the 1 admin guy hates bad spelling and punctuation :angry1: also he links to just provide tons of links and not answer the question so its a lot of reading over there . https://forums.holley.com/forumdisplay.php?82-Sniper-EFI

edelbrock for the pro-flo 4 system . these guys seem a lot more helpfull and super nice even before you buy a kit . https://forums.edelbrock.com/forum/pro-flo-efi/pro-flo-4

T

tenderfoot

I wouldn't pull the trigger on that purchase until I thoroughly researched and understand every aspect of it. So far what I've gotten is I don't think I'd want timing control. And after reading all of what sweetk30 is going through, FiTech is back in the lead again.

sweetk30

I build stuff
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
its about the same level of unhappy fitech to sniper people and problems .

as said read / read / read and read some more .

also 1 guy i read up on and has helped me in private emails to not get bombarded with questions said he has done a lot of these installs . he said if him skip the timing control . just have a good solid ignition setup with correct timing and good to go .

and if you cant tune a carb then good luck figuring out how to relate that info to a fuel map in 3d on a screen to make changes .

there NOT plug - n - play out of the box most of the time . some tuning is required .

if i even keep my sniper the replacement or next unit i get for other projects will be a edelbrock by the looks of it .

Kain

3/4 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
They all have problems Fitech sniper and edellbrock just how bad do you want to solve them and have efi....

dyeager535

1 ton status
Premium Member
Solutions
Reaction score
he said if him skip the timing control

Hmm, where is that...oh here it is:sign9:

GM figured electronic timing out somewhat well in the 70's, one would think that a few years later, timing control wouldn't be such a big deal with our technological advances and all, plus what they charge. Too bad GM didn't design EFI distributors for SBC and BBC's that the aftermarket could use or anything. :surepal:

And before anyone takes it the wrong way, I am *only* saying the aftermarket manufacturers are idiots if they are selling a product that won't work as good as OEM systems that are ~35 years old, and probably started being designed 45-55 years ago. So much so that you have to do away with a major advantage of EFI to avoid problems.

Don't get me wrong, GM TBI and TPI is certainly complex to modify. But come on...don't sell people stuff that makes it this frustrating and difficult when you've got 50 years of technology to improve on a product.

Last edited:

sweetk30

I build stuff
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
And before anyone takes it the wrong way, I am *only* saying the aftermarket manufacturers are idiots if they are selling a product that won't work as good as OEM systems that are ~35 years old, and probably started being designed 45-55 years ago. So much so that you have to do away with a major advantage of EFI to avoid problems.

Don't get me wrong, GM TBI and TPI is certainly complex to modify. But come on...don't sell people stuff that makes it this frustrating and difficult when you've got 50 years of technology to improve on a product.

:deal::bow::bow::bow: my point from the start .

trukman1

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
Sounds like someone was running a Holley carb! The bowls being on the ends can be a problem. Back in the day I always ran Rochester Q-Jets off-road (fuel bowl in the center) and never had a problem. Just sayin'

imiceman44

Hoarder extraordinaire
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hmm, where is that...oh here it is:sign9:

GM figured electronic timing out somewhat well in the 70's, one would think that a few years later, timing control wouldn't be such a big deal with our technological advances and all, plus what they charge. Too bad GM didn't design EFI distributors for SBC and BBC's that the aftermarket could use or anything. :surepal:

That's why I just like to run OEM bolt on and go.
There are things I like to modify and if I have the time and really need the extra power or whatever the extra $$$ and effort would get me then I would do it.
But stock efi works fine for my purposes so i'm able to put the effort and $$$ on tires, suspension, gearing and lockers.

imiceman44

Hoarder extraordinaire
Premium Member
Reaction score
Sounds like someone was running a Holley carb! The bowls being on the ends can be a problem. Back in the day I always ran Rochester Q-Jets off-road (fuel bowl in the center) and never had a problem. Just sayin'
I always ran qjets and loved them.
Now I have fuel injection both with my gas and diesel engines so it's even better

Top Bottom