Fuel tank/fuel sending unit/fuel pump/fuel line combo for best results with 6.0 LS.

Discussion in 'The Injection Section' started by handloader90, Oct 17, 2016.

1. handloader90

handloader90 Building! Premium Member

Build(s):
    1979 K5 Blazer
    6.0 LQ4 out of a 2005 Chevy 2500 w/ 85k
    SM465/NP205
    1 tons axles

Dropped the old fuel tank when putting the shackle flip on, probably gonna trash it cause it's pretty crusty and new stock replacements aren't too costly. Threw the fuel cell in the bed idea around for a little while but I'd like to have that bed space available for other things.

Idk if it matters or makes a different but the wire harness that I aquired with a complete intake and a lot of other stuff (DBW pedal etc.) The whole shabang was pulled from a 5.3 flex fuel engine so I don't know if that changes things, the computer was tuned near stock, VATS and all the other non essential stuff deleted, fuel and timing adjusted a little bit... something to let me get it started and running then more in depth tuning from there.

I would like to know what combo of factory replacement parts and aftermarket (I know a lot of guys are using special fittings and such) will net me the best results and not be too costly.

I've searched around and read a lot but I am looking for a combo of parts that will be reliable, trouble free, easily replaced parts at the parts store or places like rockauto and let me drive worry free not having to worry about keeping at least 1/4 tank of fuel in the tank at all times.

bmxbryant9 likes this.
  2. handloader90

handloader90 Building! Premium Member

Build(s):
    This is something that caught my eye awhile back.

Screenshot_20161017-212917.png

Screenshot_20161017-212923.png

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Some of the LS guys are going to have to chime in regarding the specifics of what is needed to keep the PCM happy and the system operating as designed, however the '87-91 K5 TBI sender in a 31 gallon tank with the EP381 pump I believe has plenty of pressure for an LS setup.

If you plan to run this thing at decent angles, and don't want to keep it full to the brim all the time, I'd want to address the baffle/sump issue however. The aftermarket '87-91 K5 tanks have laughable sump and baffles. I *think* the later sending units as pictured utilize an integral sump, which would simplify things. I suppose what they've done isn't that difficult however. If it gets you a good sump, and sending unit that works as it should (in terms of the emissions equipment) that might be the best route.