Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE Membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Generator for Blazer giving problems

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BlazerBud, Apr 16, 2007.

1. BlazerBud

BlazerBud 1/2 ton status

So I have an old Craftsman generator that I got from my Father in law. It is rated at 3500 watts. He said the carb was gummy. I wanted to keep it in the Blazer for extended trail rides or camping, and to run the air compressor or tools or welding machine if needed. I got it running but still think the carb needs work.
    A guy at work told me he had a generator like mine. His advice helped get mine running after I cleaned the ignition points. My problem is that it won't generate power. This guy told me that you sometimes have to hook the 12 volt charge leads to a battery in order to establish the polarity for the generator. My generator doesn't have 12 volt leads on the panel for battery charging, but I have been hooking a battery to the solenoid with red, and frame with black to electric start it.
    I think the carb has some plugs in it cuz I can only get it to run smooth at about 1/2 the RPM that I expect it to achieve. When I clean it all really well, that should allow me to adjust it up to full speed, but It should at least have low volts now and does anyone know what I am talking about?

2. 76zimmer

76zimmer Flyin Rat Premium Member GMOTM Winner

not sure how long it has been sitting, but I heard your supposed to use them things like every couple months to keep em working right.

3. BlazerBud

BlazerBud 1/2 ton status

yes, you are right. This hasn't been used in years. The guy at work just told me that in addition to my cleaning on the ignition points, I should also look into the Generator/Alternator, it may have brushes or induction coil thingies that may need a cleaning also. I don't know the names of alot of this stuff, but I'm fairly smart and listen good, and have access to alot of really skilled people. He also told me how to clean the last part of the carburator that is giving me problems.

Does anyone else share my thoughts, that a small generator and air compressor is a good idea? I dropped my on-board air project and sold the York compressor. The generator and and air compressor combo is more versatile and can be used aside from Wheelin, as if there was anything else.

4. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

Try and find the schematic for it online. I would be willing to bet that you need 12V to the field in order for it to make power. If there is no power to the field or if the field is bad then it will not make power. You gotta use the right hand rule:D

Ira