Go big block, or stay small block?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Russell, Jan 26, 2006.

1. Russell

Russell LLY Escalade Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Build(s):
    Hey guys!

A dude I know gave me the number of a guy selling an 87 2wd 1 ton single rear wheel crewcab truck with a TBI 454 / TH400 combo in it. He wants 500 bucks for it.

Would it be worth the effort to drop that big block into my shortbox step-side truck? I don't plan to keep the truck after this summer, and I want to make a quick return on it (paid 350 for it, then spent another 150 on an engine).

If I did drop the big block in, would it significiantly improve the worth of the truck?

I personally don't really want a big block in either of my vehicles. A small block makes more than enough power for what I use my vehicles for, and the gas costs would be killer! So, if it wouldn't make a significant improvement in the worth of the step side truck, then I don't wanna bother wasting my time and effort :P

2. resurrected_jimmy

resurrected_jimmy 1/2 ton status

Not Worth It !!!!!!!

3. SUPER'BURB

SUPER'BURB 1/2 ton status

What he said.

Unless you want the pow pow and you said you didn't.

4. ccj8008

ccj8008 1/2 ton status

Used to be that a big block was about a $1,000 upgrade in the Kelley Blue Book over the small block. That was for later model vehicles. I think gas prices are making people wary of big blocks. If I was buying your truck, I would pay more for the big block but probably not enough more to justify the time and money you are talking about.

5. fireplug

fireplug 1/2 ton status

Remember you aren't the only one thinking about gas prices. How much of a selling feature is an engine like that now? Anyone that wants the engine will buy it. The same doesn't go for the truck with a 454!

6. Russell

Russell LLY Escalade Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Build(s):
    Yeah, I think I agree with you guys.

The small block in the truck runs very well, and has plenty enough snort. I'll just let the big block pass :)