CK5 Network
Repairing, restoring or modifying your ride just got a whole lot easier!

Good cam and carb choice?

jess

Registered Member
Reaction score
I'm "freshening" my 78 4 bolt for my K5. I'll be running a 465 with 5.13s and probably 39.5s. Engine will be mild with around 9:1 compression. Thinking of going with the Edelbrock Performer intake and matched cam kit for good driveability. Anyone running this package or have another idea for a cam? Also looking at running a matched Q-jet from Jet perhaps or Holley's Truck Avenger. Any thoughts or experiences? I wanna do it right the first time. /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif

84_Chevy_K10

Banned
Reaction score
If you're wanting to do it right, avoid the Edelbrock cam like the plague.

Since the engine is going to be mild, I would definitely suggest something EFI friendly, and that you not waste $400 on a Qjet when you can get a TBI arrangement and go EFI for about that price or not much more.

rjfguitar

3/4 ton status
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
I wouldn't use the edel. cam. It is very small compared to some of the smog legal cams that comp makes.

POWERMAD

1/2 ton status
Reaction score
That grind is a stock replacement cam and if you are gonna be going through the trouble of a cam swap you may as well upgrade.
What heads are you using?
The performer intake is a good stock replacement that can handle a mild cam. Comp Cams 4x4 line has a few good choices.
It kinda all depends on what you want the engine to do.
I just bought a Rhoads Hydra-solid cam. With the heads, intake and carb I have it ought to be one nasty sucker.
I'm just waitin on a few more goodies to show up so I can slam it all together. /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

bigburban383

1/2 ton status
Reaction score
Edlebrock Performer (Not RPM) intake $115

Summit Racing Headers $89

Summit Cam 214 224 duration $100

600 cfm carb.

You will add some major torque to your truck /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

POWERMAD

1/2 ton status
Reaction score
Good choice, sorta the same one I was debating.
With the exception of a Q-jet.
The only reason I am using a 750 Ebrock carb is that is what I have to work with at this time.
I'll run that set up till I can get ahold of an Ebrock RPM intake and rebuild one of the 454 Q-jets I have.

Top Bottom