Good Online Wiring Diagrams?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 3/4 Ton Blazer, Nov 19, 2007.

1. 3/4 Ton Blazer

3/4 Ton Blazer 1/2 ton status

While camping this weekend, my truck ('89 K5) randomly died while warming it up in the morning. After a bunch of poking around, I found that there was no continuity between the big lug on the alternator, and the battery, leaving the inside of the truck without power for virtually everything (Lights, Radio, ECU, Etc...). After making a temporary jumper to go between the battery and alternator, everything worked great again. I am assuming that I blew a fusible link somewhere, but tested the only 2 I could find, and they were fine. Is there any place online to find accurate wiring diagrams for these trucks? (Not like the crappy haynes manual diagrams I have now!)

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Last edited: Nov 20, 2007
  3. slider

slider 1/2 ton status

4. 3/4 Ton Blazer

Those look like the wiring diagrams that I saw in the chiltons manual (I went to the local parts store to see if the chiltons diagrams were better than my haynes maunal diagrams). I ended up not buying the chiltons manual because this section did not make any sense as to the problem I was having, so I assumed these diagrams were bad as well. The diagram in particular I am speaking of...

[​IMG]

The loss of connection between the alternator and the battery would lead me to believe that the "Red fuse link" blew. But going by that diagram, I don't see how all of my interior components lost power. According to this diagram that link would only kill the two power leads to the alternator (Which is also funny, because my small full time power wire to the alternator still had battery power with the car off, only the bolt on wire lost power). Please tell me these are not the same as the factory service manual diagrams!

5. dyeager535

They are not. The factory wiring diagram manual is about 150 pages, all something like 8x14".

6. 3/4 Ton Blazer

I just called Chevrolet, they want $150 for the factory service manual. I had prepared myself for hearing it was about $80 or so. Bummer.

7. dyeager535

Check with helms. (helminc.com?) or just check out ebay and see whats up there. You'd want the '89 R/V wiring manual, but '87 or '88 would be better than nothing. Helms is who prints them for GM, but they are proud of them.

Many times you'll see them bundled with the emissions manual and service manual, also worth it if you like having torque specs, troubleshooting, and so on.

If I had a scanner that would fit them, I'd scan the manual. The pages are too big for the large volume scanners I have access to though.