Got my camper, dunno if it should be in restoration or here

Discussion in 'The Great Outdoors' started by Pookster, Sep 22, 2004.

1. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

Ok, got my 1989 8 foot pop up truck camper. Boy does it smell like mildew. THe roof is leaking (and bowed in no less!). Here is my first of a long series of questions.

1. Can I replace the roof? Im thinking remove inner parts, scrap it, and replace it with Poly carbonate or lexan plastic panels instead. im thinking a small "A" style roof would be quite nice, as it would shed water, let a lot of light in, and be lighter than this water soaked wood top. Any thoughts?

2. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

Does it have a wooden frame or a metal one? If its a wood one, You'll want to tear into it and see how bad the rot is. The roof is part of the structure so its worth looking into. I suppose you could rebuild it with whatever you wanted as long as there was a decent frame there.

3. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

The walls do not look too bad. One of the rear supports looks a bit mildew, so I'll see how bad it is.

I'll keep you posted with the teardown. I just ripped out all the carpeting the guy had placed over it, looks at least that there was a vynl floor before, and it doesnt looked ripped. THis is probably what kept the floor board from rotting away.