Got the headers installed on the big block finally

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Yukon Jack, May 8, 2003.

1. Yukon Jack

Yukon Jack 1/2 ton status

Finally got the headers installed. These are the Dynomax Cermacoated headers for a 67-87 BBC 2wd. Did take some work to get them to fit, but should be worth it. Can't imagine doing that work if I didn't have the cab and front clip pulled. That is making doing this swap so much easier!

Cab is over at a friends getting some rust repair done and I might get it back this weekend. Then I get to learn body and paint. Should be fun. And to think this all started with just wanting a 4 speed. Then the engine came along, then rust repair, now paint /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif
    [​IMG]

2. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

looking good /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. bobsurf

bobsurf 1/2 ton status

Side note:

What brand of wire looms did you use on that? Where'd you get em?

4. Yukon Jack

Moroso - ordered from Jegs. Part # 710-72168 $13.00 red or blue.

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

What clearance issues did you have? Spring shackle bolts?

6. Don

Don 1/2 ton status

Look's Very nice! I fit mine in the truck, under the truck, through the truck. Time well spent though. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

7. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

That's sweet!

Hmmmmmmm I bet that would pep my burb up some. Do they have a O2 Bung?
    Man those valve covers look great also.

8. Yukon Jack

The engine is sitting in the small block engine crossmember using the original small block style engine mounts. I did move the crossmember forward about 3/8" or so to give me better oil pan clearance and header clearance for the first header tube on the passenger side.

To make these headers fit I did not have to make any modifications to the driver's side other than I did have to go with a shorter oil filter as this engine has an oil cooler setup which put the larger oil filter in contact with the headers.

On the passenger side I had to remove a little bit of frame to give clearance for the first and second header tubes. I would guess I removed about 1/4". I also ended up grinding off a little bit of the engine crossmember tower as it was in contact with the bottom of the first header tube. In the end I had to use some spacers that I put between the engine and the engine mount bolts to raise the engine a bit on the passenger side and I also raised the drivers side by using spacers about half as big.

The above modifications have me comfortable with the clearance around the oil pan and passenger side headers.

I posted alot more pics over at http://64.246.42.114/vboard/showthread.php3?s=&threadid=51974 if you want to see how they sit in the frame.

The headers don't have an O2 bung.