Heavy Stuff - Suggestions?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Polaris, Jan 8, 2003.

1. Polaris

Polaris 1/2 ton status

Maybe this isn't an issue for you burly guys, but I'm not burly. I'm changing my steering gear box (again) and I only have a 2 year old to help (by playing computer games and staying out of my way!). I can lift the thing next to the frame but can't start the bolts through the frame. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif that was the 2yo giving his input while I grabbed one more cup of coffee.

I do have the bolts started for the steering shaft so that helps a little. The truck sits 6-7" higher than stock, so our 2 1/2 ton floor jack is too short by a foot or so to lift the steering box into place. Any suggestions? I figure on maybe a block of wood or something but I wonder if anyone has a magic tip. Otherwise I might have to go get a neighbor to give me a hand /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Thanks

2. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

ask a neighbor or friend.
    put it up and use a bungee cords and or a ratchet strap to hod it, then start the bolts.
    or use some cinder blocks/wood toraise the jack up and then jack from there.
    im lucky to have my wife that helps all the time.
    Grant

3. nvrenuf

nvrenuf What update?? Premium Member

Build(s):
    The first answer is the best but if help is not available...

Try stabbing a phillips screwdriver through one of the mounting holes when you have it up next to the frame. This by itself wont hold it up there but it will give you a way to balance it so you can free up one hand to start a bolt in another hole.

Be sure to keep those rapid getaway skills handy just in case! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

4. Polaris

Polaris 1/2 ton status

That is a great idea. I will remember that! I won this time but it was not easy. Whew! Got 'er back together, flushed and filled the ps pump and took a little parts acquisition trip. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif I'll have to take pics of that special part that I got, tomorrow.

5. nvrenuf

nvrenuf What update?? Premium Member

Build(s):
    Great! Glad to hear you beat it! I've replaced the one on my truck before and I sympathize with you - the job is awkward and it sucks! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif