HELP! is my cam roller or normal lifters

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by camokrawler, Apr 9, 2006.

1. camokrawler

camokrawler Registered Member

Broke a bolt on my intake today putting in a thermostat and some moron put the wrong loctite on the bolts so the one bolt i took out actually pulled the threads out with it. so i got pissed and am putting a performer intake and cam in it just to do it RIGHT. heheh. i have an 87 tbi 350 and need to know if its a roller so i can order the right cam. i need to order by midnight so it will be here tuesday. also, any installation/breakin tips.
    thanks
    camokrawler

2. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

uhm, pull your intake. no way to really tell what you've got under the hood. in the last 20 years, ANYTHING could've been swapped in there. with a broken intake bolt, the truck should be down anyways, just pull it and find out for yourself.

3. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

good point, are you talking about an Edelbrock performer cam? please tell me no...

4. littlejimmythatcould

littlejimmythatcould 1/2 ton status

I've got a comp cams extreme 4x4 cam in my jimmy with a performer intake and it seems to be a pretty good setup. Everyone has their own opinions though.

5. mouse

mouse 1/2 ton status

Be sure to get a cam that is computer friendly.

6. neverendingproject

neverendingproject 1/2 ton status

If the intake is off, you can tell by the following.

1. if there is a metal "Spider" like tray in the middle (you will know if you see it) then it is a roller cam.

2. if it is just your lifters and pushrods, nothing else, then its a flat tappet.

87 up truck blocks have provisions from the factory for roller cams, just didnt get the equipment.

7. 1985_K5_Silverado

1985_K5_Silverado 1/2 ton status

I've had no problem with mine, but I assume other have had dissimilar experiences.

8. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

while there are no "problems" with the Edelbrock line of cams, 99% of them are ancient grinds. granted, their $120 pricetag for a cam and lifter set is pretty tempting, add a little more to it, and get a more updated grind. the Comp XE 4x4 series are supposed to be really good.