CK5 Network
Repairing, restoring or modifying your ride just got a whole lot easier!

HI-LIFT????

85mudblazin

1/2 ton status
Reaction score
Does anyone use a hi-lift?? I dont really want to pay the money for a winch and I was thinking about getting a hi-lift, does anyone use it. Any feedback would be appreciated. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

84gmcjimmy

1 ton status
Reaction score
A hi-lift jack? It'd be better to invest in a winch too, a jack will help, but when your stuck in deep mud or rocks, you will need a winch, or skills.

GMCLegacy

1/2 ton status
Reaction score
by the time you buy enough grade chain to reach anything, you would have been better off buying a winch. a towstrap and a high lift is worthless because of all the stretch. a hilift is a good recovery tool to have, but nowhere near replacement for a winch in most situations.

grd2go

Registered Member
Reaction score
a winch is always nice to have but a high lift is a must when youre winch dosnt reach nothing solid in the winter here in alaska you dont get to use one of those neat anchors that work in the dirt and mud but a good old highlift jack will save youre ass.. /forums/images/graemlins/crewcab.gif

BlazerGuy

3/4 ton status
Reaction score
You need a hi-lift like you need tow points. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif As for using it as a winch, yeah it works in an emergency. It is a humbling experience to say the least... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

az-k5

1/2 ton status
Reaction score
I would tow another vehicle behind me before I will use a hi-lift as a winch. Look into some of the new come-alongs on the market, the more-power-puller is the best I have seen around as a hand operated recovery device. It is similar to a come-along but feeds the cable through the body and out the other side, thus has no power reduction due to cable build up on a drum. You can also winch continually for the 60 feet of cable they give you.

Greenblazer-AZ

1/2 ton status
Reaction score
If paying for something as essential as a hi-lift jack is a problem for you, maybe you need to take up a new hobby. A hi-lift is cheap compared to how much money this hobby will suck out of you. I just spent enough money on my Blazer to buy eighteen $65.00 hi-lift jacks just to put in a 205 transfer case that I already owned. $175.00 to replace cracked t-case adapter, $175.00 for the non bearing collar, $45.00 for the seal kit to freshen up the 205, $75.00 to remove the t-case and find out that the transmission case is broke and then have the transmission removed(and that was a deal from my friends a Desert Rat in Mesa), $330.00 to have the transmission case swapped into another case that I already owned(including install, and a used crossmember).

The point is this is not a cheap hobby, but a hi-lift jack is cheap, and necessary for wheeling.

Later,
Allan Greenblazer

spoolnaround

1/2 ton status
Reaction score
A Highlift can get you out of som sticky situations. I dont own a winch (but need one), its on the list. The Highlift is essential, I did use mins as a winch once when I lost 4wd and slid into a rock and winched my truck sideways 3-4 feet tp get off the rock, couldnt even imagine trying to do that more than 5-6 feet PIA. Get a Highlift, then save and get the winch later.

az-k5

1/2 ton status
Reaction score
I agree a hi-lift is a must have. It will work as a winch, but you will be doing most of the work. I have a winch and a 60" hi-lift along with a come-along in my truck all of the time.

Top Bottom