Hot exhaust pipes under passenger and drivers seat?

Discussion in 'The Injection Section' started by FWP, Nov 5, 2006.

1. FWP

FWP CRS

Build(s):
    Anyone have this problem with a TBI swap? It only happens when under high power for 30 minutes or more- i.e. highway driving with 42's and a 7000 lb pig:D

Engine temp is normal, the tranny gets a little warm as I would expect. Stock puter, mild cam. It's been this way ever since the swap, starting with 37's, 38.5's then 42's. Stock manifolds, if that makes a difference.

Ideas? Thoughts?

2. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

Build(s):
    what cam and do you have the specs? you might need a custom chip if its off from stock a bit to far.

3. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

An engine running too rich or too lean can make the exhaust pretty hot.

4. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

With my dual exhaust & TPI I get hotspots under the seats and under the footwell for the rear passenger area. I still have carpet even for now:D. When I loose the carpet I imagine the problem will just get worse.

I am going to get a good 3" exhaust system built for the truck though which I am hoping will help the problem some and keep the exhaust a little further away from the floorpan.

Harley

5. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Harley , I got it too , but I assume in our case its the cats getting the hot . You have two , I have one . My hottest spot is just above the cat which sticks about 4 inches rearward of the heat shield .

6. 1979jimmy350

1979jimmy350 1/2 ton status

i would guess the cat is the reason also, if you have a stock chip and a mild cam you are going to let a lot of unburned gas into the exaust causing the cat to get really hot, there are a few ways to solve this, one you should really get a chip to make the truck run the best it can, you could also cut the cat out but then your truck is still not running the best. I would suggest getting a chip and go from there