CK5 Network
Repairing, restoring or modifying your ride just got a whole lot easier!

how long did it take?

cochino12

1/2 ton status
Reaction score
To install the lift on your k5? I am ready to order a 4' lift and am curious how long it should take me or if I should just take it to someone to get the lift done.

Tweetysuarus

1/2 ton status
Reaction score
It'll take a whole afternoon if you have all the tools and jack stands and knowledge. It's ptretty straight forward though, not hard, just time consuming.
Bill

K5er4Life

Chillen the most
Premium Member
Reaction score
Shouldnt take too long, if you have not done much to your truck yet it might take the better part of a day. Dont worry about it though, just go for it and do it yourself. Its much more satisfying to see what you did to your own truck. And good luck with the install, it really is quite simple. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

mud390

1/2 ton status
Reaction score
Might be a good idea to spray all the bolts that you plan to take off with some penetrating oil before hand. Maybe the night before. Something like PB Blaster, WD 40, or anything similar to those should work. Makes things a little easier. Less cussing when all is said and done.

Kris

Fubeca

1/2 ton status
Reaction score
[ QUOTE ]
I am ready to order a 4' lift

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif Might take a bit longer if it is a true 4 feet /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

Just a little ribbing!
These projects always take me longer than they should because I find other things that I need to fix while it is apart.

84gmcjimmy

1 ton status
Reaction score
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I am ready to order a 4' lift

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif Might take a bit longer if it is a true 4 feet /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I think he meant 4" /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

pauly383

Daddy383
Reaction score
It took Bigyellowjimmy , Jaysbeast , and I nearly all day to lift my truck. I was however doing front springs,steering corrections, brake lines, shackle flip, swaybar disconnects , and replacing the rear rubber bushings with poly. If I did not replace the rear bushings it would of knocked a few HOURS off the install. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

fortcollinsram

1/2 ton status
Reaction score
about 5 hours for the rear lift (shackle flip, axle swap and brakes, and new springs and shocks and MOO x-over kit) and about 3 for the front.

Chris

B_to_C

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Author
Reaction score
/forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

It took me 4 days to do mine /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

Ofcourse it was a New England truck so rust was a MAJOR issue in slowing every little task down...
And this was the first thing other than an oil change i had done to my truck

cochino12

1/2 ton status
Reaction score
yeah I guess a 4' lift would take a lot longer ha ha. I havent really had much experience with 4wd's so I'm a little hesitant to do it by myself. I suppose its just about the same as lowering a truck just doing it the opposite way sort of right?

I dont think the rear will be an issue since I am just doing a block for right now. Anyone done a tech write up for doing the spring lift on the front? any pointers or tips for me?

84gmcjimmy

1 ton status
Reaction score
I think it's something you can do yourself if you have some tools. It's just basic, but time consuming. Here's a tip: Be patient if something doesn't work /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

FRIZZLEFRY

1/2 ton status
Reaction score
Here is a wrightup on a 4" front lift install.

I swapped front springs (6" down to 4") in my truck this afternoon in about 30 minutes /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

jimmyjack

1/2 ton status
Reaction score
Damn dawg, THAT'S fast! I did my front springs today in about 2 hours, solo. But I didn't swap shocks, just the springs. Just do one side at a time. Piece of cake. And soak everything with penetrating oil ahead of time. Expect to replace the bolts for the hangers too, they'll be nasty.

NITRO

1/2 ton status
Reaction score
i got ya'll beat. 11 days and almost 100 hours to put on a 4" all spring lift, 3/4 ton axles, brake lines, 15" rims and grinding. Keep in mind it was on a rust bucket 79 K5. I did have air tools and a torch however which made it quite a bit easier.

NITRO

smokkey1

1/2 ton status
Reaction score
well it took me and my uncle 7 hours for the front 4" springs, steering arm, brake line, shocks and steering box brace. The next day took me and my dad about 10 hours /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif for the shackle flip, bushings and shocks. damm rivets didn't want to come off and the gas tank was an pain in the next. we did the install at my dads shop so we had plenty of tools on hand. we also used an fork lift to hold up the gas tank... tip if your going to do an shackle flip make sure the gas tank is almost empty /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

justin /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

4xcrazy

3/4 ton status
Reaction score
It took me a few days to do mine, but then again, i broke two brake lines right at the connections near the frame on the front pass side, and then the rear one right at the connection and had to reflare them and do some jimmy riggin on the rear one. The actual lift on the front i believe took me about 5-6 hours, by myself and my tools are not organized. The rear i actually could not do for an additional 4 days or so, as i had to wait for new u-bolts to arrive from Rough Country because i forgot to mention i had a 14bff on the rear and not the 10 bolt. /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif (They sent them for free) /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif
I believe by myself if i had all the components, i could have had it done within the weekend including the few problems i encountered. This is not rushing the job either.

This may seem alittle slow to some, but when your working in a singlw car wide carport, with disorganized tools, it takes some time.
But i got it together, thats all that counts. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Top Bottom