CK5 Network
Repairing, restoring or modifying your ride just got a whole lot easier!

how to tell if shocks are bad?

tecton

1/2 ton status
Reaction score
ride feels a bit bumpy at different speeds

mabye time for newbies?

4xcrazy

3/4 ton status
Reaction score
If i'm suspecting a bad shock, i usually will remove the lower bolt of the shock and see if it compresses way too easy, i have had a bad/broken shock on the front once, and it did not do this bouncin down the road thing as previously mentioned, it just felt like the truck would bounce in a weird manner when a big bump was hit, basically like one side was too soft or something.
That is the best way so that i have found how to check out the shocks, doesn't take much time, just need the motivation to work on it. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

shane74

1/2 ton status
Reaction score
Here is a wierd trick, but it works...

Rub chalk all over the surface of your tire and take it for a short drive If your shock is bad, you'll see a "skipping" pattern in the chalk. If it's good, it'll all be gone.

I know..wierd..but it works..

big83chevy4x4

3/4 ton status
Reaction score
another thing you can do is jump on the corner that you think is bad and if it bounces to much (more than twice) that corner is bad /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

4xcrazy

3/4 ton status
Reaction score
[ QUOTE ]
another thing you can do is jump on the corner that you think is bad and if it bounces to much (more than twice) that corner is bad /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Ya see, /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gifthis didn't work on my ride, as the lifted spring were too stiff to be able to tell this about the shock. /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

rjfguitar

3/4 ton status
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
If it feels like you are on a 15' aluminum boat in the middle of the pacific every time you go over a bump than you need new shocks. /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

Top Bottom