Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE Membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

How warm should my engine get?

Discussion in 'Tow & Trailer' started by Blue85, Jul 16, 2017.

1. Alan2smiley

Alan2smiley I'm in the shop Premium Member

He's already on the Overland Trip.

2. rpcraft

rpcraft 1/2 ton status

Build(s):
    Couple of things I would recommend overall. For one separate your trans cooler from the radiator if you have not done so already. Probably the huge heat soak is coming from your transmission passing really hot fluid through the radiator. That being said adding a separate transmission cooling circuit will also allow your transmission to run a lot cooler. You might perhaps look at an extra volume transmission pan as well if you are going to be doing prolonged towing with a full load. You may have done this already but you might want to do is check and see what temp range your thermostat currently is and swap it to one slightly cooler if at all possible. Another idea is swapping in a set of electric fans. It will free up some power on your engine (as much as 20 to 25 hp in fact) and every bit of parasitic draw you can eliminate should help reduce engine temps. It's not going to keep it running at 190 all the time but it should definitely help reduce prolonged temps. Also, I am not sure it will really help overall, but you may want to check and see if your motor has the oil cooler on it. If not you might want to look into one. You can add some volume and it will also help reduce temps, as well as the life of your oil an appreciable amount over it's lifetime.

3. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

Build(s):
    GM was phasing in electric fans around 2004, but everything heavy duty or tow package kept the clutch fan for at least a few more years. I was looking into converting, mostly because I thought it would help MPG, but most on the GMT800 forums said to stick with mechanical for towing. The electrics on my '05 are also quieter than the mechanical on the '03, which I suppose is both good and bad. The huge HP robbing numbers are for no clutch, but here they do measure 14hp:

So at towing RPM, it could be 9HP. A pair of electrics is like 1HP. Here's one of the few scientific posts I've seen about it: http://gmtnation.com/forums/threads/e-fans-with-towing.2880/#post-157505. Basically electrics cool better at idle, but fall way behind at working RPMs. So is cooling power where I want to save power? Some theorize that you don't even need a fan at speed, but the difference I saw with a new fan clutch proves that you do (at least for towing).

I'll have to get pics of the coolers when I'm back with it. I'm pretty sure it's a stock thermostat because that's where it runs 95% of the time.

76zimmer likes this.
  4. rpcraft

rpcraft 1/2 ton status

Build(s):
    I had wondered about the aspect of what happens when you have load over time Vs varying engine speeds.

5. Alan2smiley

Alan2smiley I'm in the shop Premium Member

You should take option 4 and get off Highway 94 at Exit 88 and stop by our house on the way to Highway 29 to Wausau on your way to the UP. :waytogo:

Screenshot_20170814-130047.png

Blue85 and campfire like this.
  6. Blue85

Build(s):
    We've reached a new low in campground quality. It's literally a field with little signs stuck in it, as an overflow to the "real" campground (in town). Seems everyone is lining up for the full solar eclipse tomorrow and they're getting $75 for dry camping (i.e. parking). (No, I didn't pay that much. ) We planned to camp at an Oregon Trail site, but since we got there at 3:30, we kept making miles into UT.

20170820_203459.jpg

7. campfire

campfire Adventure is out there! Premium Member

Build(s):
    I'm ok camping in a field. But I wouldn't be paying for a random spot in a random field. :dunno:

Taking the I-80 route home?

8. Blue85

Build(s):
    The Great Salt Lake isn't so great, actually. Smelly, too salty and gross to swim in and much smaller than the Great Lakes. But once the sun goes down, Antelope Island is kind of nice.

20170821_194903.jpg

20170821_203607.jpg

9. Blue85

Build(s):
    It was weird driving during the eclipse today. We weren't in the peak zone, but it did get dark enough for the headlights to turn on. Tried getting pictures, but lacked proper equipment.

20170821_111610.jpg