Ignition problems in my '97 C1500

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by fad2blk99, May 25, 2004.

  1. fad2blk99

    fad2blk99 1/2 ton status

    Feb 19, 2001
    Likes Received:
    Charleston, SC
    Ignition problems in my \'97 C1500

    I posted this in the other trucks forum, but it doesn't appear that anyone has posted there in several hours and I was hoping to get a few quick responses.... here it is:
    Its a stock Vortec 350 with 130mi on the ticker and I just changed the distributor cap, rotor, wires and plugs and now she won't start It turns over with only some sporadic ignition (indicating the coil is firing) but will not start. I quadruple checked the wires and they are right. I even went as far as taking them off and writing the cylinder numbers on the wires. I double checked the firing order on the cap with the manual and it is right. I ohm-checked the wires through the cap to ensure a good cap-to-wire connection and that checked out (only .002 ohms resistance). I made sure the rotor wasn't on backwards and that it was sitting flat and not otherwise installed wrong and that checked good........ THIS DAMNED THING WAS RUNNING WHEN I PULLED IT INTO THE GARAGE!!! (I’m more than just a little frustrated)


    More background if you want to read further:
    For the last year and a half or so the check engine light has been coming on while towing. Fault codes indicated a misfire. The last time it did this (about a month ago), I took to the dealership and they recommended a tune-up (plugs, wires, cap, rotor and injector cleaner). I decided to go ahead with the recommended tune-up yesterday when I got another check engine light (this time I wasn’t towing). Along with my tune-up stuff, I also bought an OBD-II scanner (I left the parts store $300+ lighter). With my new scanner I discovered that I was now getting an EVAP SYS fault (Evaporative system). There were two EVAP SYS fault codes when I erased them (They were the only codes). I drove the truck for about 5 min after erasing the codes (and accelerated to 50+ at WOT once) and the codes did not return. After a couple hours cool down I pulled the truck into the garage, and now here I am…..

Share This Page