Insulation above headliner?

Discussion in 'Interior - Stock & Custom' started by K588, Feb 14, 2019.

1. K588

K588 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Has anyone put anything above a headliner? For sound deadening and insulation. I was looking at those dynamat type products you cut and stick or other suggestions.

Po removed the headliner in a suburban, I got a new one and figured before I put it in, now was the time to do something if it's a good idea.

2. 6872xtc

6872xtc make mine modified Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Build(s):
    I put 2 different types of Dynamat in my '90 Jimmy when I repaired my headliner. But I don't know if I could tell much of a difference because of the relatively small section that is metal vs the fiberglass top. I could tell a difference when tapping on the metal, but it is obviously covered by headliner, so it's difficult to tap on it anyway.
    I put Dynamat in the firewall, floor and back panel of my '70 K10 and was pleased with the results. So I honestly would recommend some insulation, and you may see a definite difference with the completely steel body of a suburban. But it will get expensive.

K588 likes this.
  3. Smokinthehippies

Smokinthehippies 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Build(s):
    I got some noico stuff from amazon that is way cheaper than dynomat. Using it to do the doors and floors of my mega cab with the new stereo but if it works half way decent I’m gonna use some on my Chevy too.

Can’t say as to overall difference as it’s too cold to put it on, but it is def heavy and has gotten solid reviews.

K588 likes this.
  4. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

My brother used some of that aluminum bubble wrap insulation as a headliner in his Studebaker until he was able to get an interior make-over done on it..it actually looked pretty good,and did seem to cut down the noise and insulate good..

K588 likes this.
  5. 6872xtc

Build(s):
    I do understand the perspective on Dynamat being expensive, but sometimes it may be worth it. A direct comparison would be too much work and money for me to try. What I will suggest though, is to make sure that you find something that is asphalt based or whatever Dynamat is, and has great reviews as far as the adhesive. You don't want it falling down after a few years. Being inverted seems like it would be the most challenging for the adhesive to me. And buying enough for a suburban is something that you want to last.

KirsL, Smokinthehippies and K588 like this.
  6. Smokinthehippies

Smokinthehippies 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Build(s):
    I agree with that. Mine are going on doors and floors so I’m not as worried about adhesivebut as heavy as this stuff I wouldn’t want it Fallin down.

6872xtc and K588 like this.
  7. blazinzuk

blazinzuk Buzzbox voodoo Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Build(s):
  8. 6872xtc

Build(s):
    K588 likes this.
  9. K588

This suburban is all black to, which started my thought process.

6872xtc likes this.
  10. 6872xtc

Build(s):
    I can tell you that when I painted the fiberglass top on my '90 to silver from black, I lower the temperature about 25* on a sunny late summer day. I believe that it was 83* outside when I checked the difference between a still black top and my freshly painted silver one. The temp gun doesn't read the same on different colors, so I checked the inside.
    Apparently guys in southern areas have found out the similar results.

K588 likes this.
  11. KirsL

KirsL Diesel maniac Premium Member

Build(s):
    I put some on the inside of my doors and on the back wall of the cab of mine. Just that made a huge difference. I just used some generic stuff I picked up from either Home Depot or Lowes. It's only 1/4" or so thick. But it was fairly cheap and one roll went pretty far. A second roll would probably finish off the whole cab.

K588 likes this.
  12. Big Ray

Big Ray 1 ton status Premium Member

I started to use the half sheet of blue foam insulation I had left over from a home project. It was real bad in my old burb, no headliner at all. It fried my my noggin in the summer. Dark blue.

K588 likes this.
  13. K588

I'm giving this stuff a go, hope it's worth it, not going to be cheap. 20190310_172215.jpg

KirsL likes this.