CK5 Network
Repairing, restoring or modifying your ride just got a whole lot easier!

Introducing Volcano Manifolds...

folkenheath

Volcano Manifolds
Vendor
GMOTM Winner
Author
Reaction score
I have been developing and testing this system for over 3 years and it's finally ready to launch!

Volcano Manifolds patented tunable intake system raises the bar for single plane intake manifold performance, tunability, and adaptability.

www.volcanomanifolds.com

Intake Manifolds and Volcano velocity inserts in stock now, integral nitrous coming soon!

CK5 discount applies to Volcano Products, Edelbrock, Fragola, etc.

volcano top iso.jpg

Fastereddie

Sorry if I offended you. Not.
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Solutions
Reaction score
I have been developing and testing this system for over 3 years and it's finally ready to launch!

Volcano Manifolds patented tunable intake system raises the bar for single plane intake manifold performance, tunability, and adaptability.

www.volcanomanifolds.com

Intake Manifolds and Volcano velocity inserts in stock now, integral nitrous coming soon!

View attachment 350057
That looks pretty sweet, congratulations!

folkenheath

Volcano Manifolds
Vendor
GMOTM Winner
Author
Reaction score
Thank you. It works even better than anticipated, to the point where I want it on everything I have, ha ha

When I tested it at the dyno the first time I swapped the part in 5 minutes and picked up ~10 wheel hp across the RPM range, even at peak, and the dyno operator looked at me in disbelief and said "what they he77 did you do?"...:haha:

76zimmer

Flyin Rat
Staff member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
Congrats Heath, I hope it takes off like fire!

Bent77

curmudgeon Status
Staff member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score

www.volcanomanifolds.com

View attachment 350057
Just the 2 set screws holding that in?
How does it perform in the 2-3k range on mild 350 applications?

folkenheath

Volcano Manifolds
Vendor
GMOTM Winner
Author
Reaction score
Congrats Heath, I hope it takes off like fire!

I hope so too, time will tell...I need to learn about marketing and advertising, not my area of expertise, ha ha

Last edited:

folkenheath

Volcano Manifolds
Vendor
GMOTM Winner
Author
Reaction score
Just the 2 set screws holding that in?
How does it perform in the 2-3k range on mild 350 applications?

No I wouldn't of trusted that either, there is one "lock screw", to prevent it from loosening on the 1-1/2 - 28 threads. Also, the set screw can''t fall out because it is tapped from the bottom, but not all the way through so even if it comes loose, it can't fall into the engine...

safe.jpg

The reason there are two thread lock screw holes is because of two reasons:

1 - you can rotate it back up to 1/2 turn and still compress the o-ring with the fine thread.

2 - symmetry for even flow.

You can see that here...

www.volcanomanifolds.com/velocity/#safe

I still need to test it at lower RPMs on an engine dyno, chassis dyno was showing too high of gains I didn't really believe. Theoretically it would perform better at low end because you are slightly reducing plenum volume and increasing air velocity. I haven't found the upper end where it stopped gaining yet. More testing in the future.

Last edited:

Bent77

curmudgeon Status
Staff member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
No I wouldn't of trusted that either, there is one "lock screw", to prevent it from loosening on the 1-1/2 - 28 threads. Also, the set screw can''t fall out because it is tapped from the bottom, but not all the way through so even if it comes loose, it can't fall into the engine...

safe.jpg

The reason there are two thread lock screw holes is because of two reasons:

1 - you can rotate it back up to 1/2 turn and still compress the o-ring with the fine thread.

2 - symmetry for even flow.

You can see that here...

www.volcanomanifolds.com/velocity/#safe

I still need to test it at lower RPMs on an engine dyno, chassis dyno was showing too high of gains I didn't really believe. Theoretically it would perform better at low end because you are slightly reducing plenum volume and increasing air velocity. I haven't found the upper end where it stopped gaining yet. More testing in the future.
So would the manifold need to be machined to add this?

TJ1978

I have MANY questions
Premium Member
Reaction score
would be nice to see this being installed and a walkthrough of what it does and how it does it...unless I missed a video?
Anyway, good luck.

folkenheath

Volcano Manifolds
Vendor
GMOTM Winner
Author
Reaction score
So would the manifold need to be machined to add this?

Yes I sell new manifolds with the system interface machined already and in stock or I can machine manifolds if people send them to me. I am going to add a drawing for machining the intake yourself but the tap costs more than many intakes so I don't think that will be a popular option. I can get pretty much any Edelbrock intake so if you need one I can get it pretty quick if they have it in stock at Edelbrock.

would be nice to see this being installed and a walkthrough of what it does and how it does it...unless I missed a video?
Anyway, good luck.

I have not made a video yet but I plan to very soon. I'll post it up when I do. Basically it helps the air make the turn into the runners and eliminates the dead spot, increasing velocity and making more power and torque. Not every engine is the same so the benefit is it can be swapped out in 5 minutes or so for a different size or even add integral nitrous oxide injection.

So, if I send you my Brodix single plane.... :thinking:

Yes I could easily add this to your intake! I have tested this so far on Edelbrock, Dart, and Brodix intakes. It works great with 4 barrel style EFI(throttle body and multi port) or carburetors. Let me know if you are interested AJ.

Cool idea. Good luck with it!

Thank you.

Last edited:

folkenheath

Volcano Manifolds
Vendor
GMOTM Winner
Author
Reaction score
Thanks Dave, in my youtube debut(at least for videos where I speak), I kept forgetting to mention stuff or knocking the little tripod over trying to work around it, and then I finally got one good enough I figured.

If anyone has any questions/comments/suggestions let me know.

Last edited:

AJs72K5

blub-blub-blub-blub
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
What would the different sizes of the insert do?

beags86

Eastbound and Down
Premium Member
Reaction score
I don't want to talk for the creator, but no two engine are the same, so each engine will respond differently. So he created a couple different ones to address this.
Personally I told heath this morning I would be sending him my manifold for my 489 within 6-8 weeks. I'll be buying all three inserts that Heath offers, and I am going to test them on the engine dyno. This way I can test which insert will help my combo the most.
I will add this, if I found that the inserts made no considerable difference, in no way would I say the product didn't work.
Just that it didn't show a considerable gain on my combo.
If nothing else the nitrous volcano is slicker then snot and I am definitely thinking about that as a little extra add to my combo.

folkenheath

Volcano Manifolds
Vendor
GMOTM Winner
Author
Reaction score

Well, beags is correct, every engine is different, so some engines may like it more than others. With the install of the insert we are smoothing the transition from vertical airflow to make the turn into the more horizontal runners, this increases velocity and makes the manifold more efficient at getting the air to the cylinders with less turbulence and friction, which is a good thing. At the same time it is also taking up a little space which essentially reduces the plenum volume. Theoretically low RPM and throttle response would like a smaller plenum volume where higher RPM would like a larger plenum volume. So there may be a point where the engine likes the smaller shorter turn because it really wants more plenum volume. This is all relative to the size of the engine, camshaft specs, rpm, cylinder heads, how large the intake is in the first place, etc. One of the benefits of the system is you can tune it to your engine, you don't have to glue it in, it can be changed in minutes. We may find now that we can make more power with a larger intake and not lose the low end with the Volcano Insert.

On my truck BBC the smaller insert gained about ~5 wheel hp and the taller one gained about ~10 wheel hp(it made me wonder if a larger one yet would of helped even more), my engine peaked at 5200 and because of wheel speed issues we didn't test past 5500 and the Volcano insert was still showing a similar gain. This wasn't just down low or at peak, it was across the entire RPM range we tested on the chassis dyno starting around 3000. I believe the gain below that might be more, not less. More testing will show us more. A lot of my testing and development time involved the nitrous oxide injection, there is still a lot more to learn on the Velocity Inserts. The good thing is any inserts I develop in the future will be designed to retrofit back into the same Volcano System Interface, once you have the Volcano System it's easy to change.

I don't want to talk for the creator, but no two engine are the same, so each engine will respond differently. So he created a couple different ones to address this.
Personally I told heath this morning I would be sending him my manifold for my 489 within 6-8 weeks. I'll be buying all three inserts that Heath offers, and I am going to test them on the engine dyno. This way I can test which insert will help my combo the most.
I will add this, if I found that the inserts made no considerable difference, in no way would I say the product didn't work.
Just that it didn't show a considerable gain on my combo.
If nothing else the nitrous volcano is slicker then snot and I am definitely thinking about that as a little extra add to my combo.

You hit the nail on the head beags. If your engine doesn't like one try a different one. I am sure there are some engine combinations that may not see a gain, but if you change something then maybe it will. It's always tuneable from then on. And the nitrous works awesome, the excellent distribution is the main reason I have ran 9.003 at over 150 MPH in the quarter on pump gas with a 3700 lb car. I haven't had time to go back for 8s again, I need new tires already too, or I would of done it last time if I hadn't been spinning.

Last edited:
Top Bottom