Kick Panel Speakers

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Captain Dave, Oct 15, 2020.

1. Captain Dave

Captain Dave Registered Member Premium Member

I am trying to install JL Audio 6.5" C2 speakers into RetroSound KP-C59-6772 kick panels. I have the obvious parking brake clearance issue on the driver side. Can the truck kick panel be cut to let the speaker protrude into the void behind?

2. 6872xtc

6872xtc make mine modified Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Build(s):
    Yes, it can be cut. However I know that you have only a limited area which I don't believe is large enough to let the speaker sink in completely. I don't remember for sure, I am trying to go by memory of when I had one opened up for rust repair.

3. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Better use speakers that have waterproof cones ,that area gets its share of moisture and paper coned speakers wont last long..

They used to sell spacers for speakers so you didn't have to cut the panels or let speakers fit that protruded far into the rear where the magnet is,but then the speaker is sticking out and might get in the way of your foot..

4. Captain Dave

Captain Dave Registered Member Premium Member

my plan is to use the RetroSound KP-C59-6772 kick panels in their stock configuration and cut into the truck kick space to allow for the depth of the speaker. Then the e-brake pedal and everything clears on the drivers side. I'm sure I can get a "bucket" to go over the speaker to protect from moisture. or use marine speakers.

Thanks for your help.

Capt Dave

6872xtc likes this.
  5. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Your welcome..

I forgot about the e-brake pedal,that would not allow a spacer to be used on the drivers side..
    It's been years since I put any speakers in trucks,I learned putting them in the doors isn't the best location for sound or avoiding them from being damaged ...using the "buckets" does help improve bass and protects the speakers,I put in 2 pairs of 6-1/2" speakers in my 72 K5's doors before I saw some that had polyurethane cones that were water proof and bought them...

I'd have put the speakers in the kick panels but then I'd have to remove the "door" and defeat the air vent in order to do so..and plug up the opening with something to keep water and air flow from affecting the speakers..

6. 6872xtc

6872xtc make mine modified Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Build(s):
    I apologize, I forgot to freak out and tell you NOT to cut your truck!!

:haha::haha:

Cuz mine has totally uncut sheetmetal everywhere! :whistle:

LVJimmy likes this.