Lift needed for 33" tires on my 73 K5?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Joe Kitzmiller, Sep 13, 2005.

1. Joe Kitzmiller

Joe Kitzmiller Registered Member

Will I need a lift for my 73 K5 if it has 33" tires? If so what kind of lift is best to keep from getting body roll; suspension or body? Just enough increase in height to keep the tires from rubbing the inner fender is desirable. thanks

2. PsychoticDeadGuy

PsychoticDeadGuy 1/2 ton status

i say, go with a 4" lift if you want a little height on it and to clear the 33s good.

3. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Build(s):
    Many, many aspects of this have been covered before. Try searching for "tire fit lift" and see what you find.

In short, it depends on the truck. I put 33"s on my '74 (it was all I had, being broke) with no lift, and driving in town I had no issues.

I now have 35"s on that '74 with a 4" lift and enough fender cutting to fit Rhode Island in my wheel wells.

The body-vs-suspension lift thing has also been beaten to death; searching will find all manner of commentary.

For 'real' wheelers, oftentimes a 4" shackle flip in back and 4" lift springs in front, while not cheap, are your best bet.

-- A

4. blazinzuk

blazinzuk Buzzbox voodoo Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Build(s):
    I have a 73 that I cut the fenders on and put 35s on. Also had a 84 that I put 36s bias ply swampers (35.5" tall) neither with any problem my bro in law has a 77 with 33s no trimming no rubbing when wheeling It depends on you actaul height of the tires also all of these were on stock rims

5. 78Suburban

78Suburban 1/2 ton status

I plan on a 3 inch suspension lift to clear 33's. it will be enough, plust there will be no steering mods, and driveshaft angles should be happy. I want to get the tough country front and rear springs. just letting you know how I plan on clearing them. :p: