CK5
Register an account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members.

Long 8 hour drive ahead need some advice

How did it turn out? Any issues? I’m in NorCal myself. We like taking our 82 K5 on long trips to see what happens. Boiled fuel once, but otherwise pretty smooth.
It went great we left around 530 am I was going 55 the whole way so the 9 hour trip turned into around 12 but the ol girl didn't even come close to over heating once it got a bit hot for me later in the cab but I had my ice chest and kept me and my dog hydrated the Grapevine was a breeze wich surprised me but it definitely was a bumpy ride up it I 10 out 0f ten recommend this trip if you think your up for it its a beautiful drive starting in the morning especially if you have the wife with you
 
That’s great to hear. I’m sure you were the most stylish on the road.
My Grandfather used to drive a 72 GMC with his trailer, as part of Sams Club, all over the country and I don’t know if he ever popped the hood except to change the oil :).
I keep telling myself that it’s still possible.
Thanks for sharing about your trip! We’ll be headed to Burney Falls to camp soon.
 
It went great we left around 530 am I was going 55 the whole way so the 9 hour trip turned into around 12 but the ol girl didn't even come close to over heating once it got a bit hot for me later in the cab but I had my ice chest and kept me and my dog hydrated the Grapevine was a breeze wich surprised me but it definitely was a bumpy ride up it I 10 out 0f ten recommend this trip if you think your up for it its a beautiful drive starting in the morning especially if you have the wife with you
I have done this trip plenty in the past 24 years.
5 squares and a jeep wagoneer.
And of course a few regular cars and my big rig.
 
That’s great to hear. I’m sure you were the most stylish on the road.
My Grandfather used to drive a 72 GMC with his trailer, as part of Sams Club, all over the country and I don’t know if he ever popped the hood except to change the oil :).
I keep telling myself that it’s still possible.
Thanks for sharing about your trip! We’ll be headed to Burney Falls to camp soon.
Glad I could share my experience with you and haha I definitely was eye candy on the road especially for the older guys in their newer trucks but its still possible and im glad it is because I wouldnt want it any other way these new trucks are not for me I prefer to be stuck in the past and good luck on your trip
 
Hey guy I got an 86 gmc sierra classic crewcab 3500 dually with the ol 454 on it i got an 8 hour drive to la coming up in 2 days all the fluids are topped rear tires are a bit old both tanks are filled (and my wallet is taking a beating with today's gas prices) im just wondering what I should expect/ prep for and how many stops it'll take to get down there I've been on 2 to 3 hour drives through the mountains out here in redding without problems the only thing im not to happy to encounter is the grape vine hills but other than that im feeling pretty confident in the ol girl shes also got only 159237 on the dash
How many miles? Fill up by using gas buddy! My wife plans are trip by the mile and gas stops! Did figure how many miles you use per tank? Just get really organized and bring tools just in case you break down! Good luck!
 
Hey guy I got an 86 gmc sierra classic crewcab 3500 dually with the ol 454 on it i got an 8 hour drive to la coming up in 2 days all the fluids are topped rear tires are a bit old both tanks are filled (and my wallet is taking a beating with today's gas prices) im just wondering what I should expect/ prep for and how many stops it'll take to get down there I've been on 2 to 3 hour drives through the mountains out here in redding without problems the only thing im not to happy to encounter is the grape vine hills but other than that im feeling pretty confident in the ol girl shes also got only 159237 on the dash








Platipus Wild Spin Deluxe
159k on an old 454 dually is nothing to sneeze at, especially if she’s been doing those mountain runs without complaining. I’d definitely give the brakes, belts, hoses, and cooling system a close look before heading out, and maybe carry a spare belt and some basic tools. The Grapevine would be the part I’d respect most—keep an eye on temps and don’t rush the climb. What kind of mileage do you usually get from that 454?
 
Have at least one spare tire/wheel, and the means to change it!
 
159k on an old 454 dually is nothing to sneeze at, especially if she’s been doing those mountain runs without complaining. I’d definitely give the brakes, belts, hoses, and cooling system a close look before heading out, and maybe carry a spare belt and some basic tools. The Grapevine would be the part I’d respect most—keep an eye on temps and don’t rush the climb. What kind of mileage do you usually get from that 454?
This what I usually do!

Have a good set of tools for breakdowns
Maybe some spare parts
A jack that you use for your truck
Impact for lug bolts
tire sealant 2 can
Figure out your mpg then make sure there is enough gas station
Are you driving on the interstate? If yes make sure it can handle the speed limits!
Plan out your trip to decide yo make fun and worries free!
 
Top Bottom