Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

LY6

Discussion in 'The Engine Bay' started by Ibluckyjoe, May 25, 2016.

1. Ibluckyjoe

Ibluckyjoe Newbie Premium Member

Hello all. First post. Sure there will be many...

I have been stalking and learning as best I can (which ain't real good). Looking online, LY6 availability looks much better and maybe even less expensive than an LQ4 or LQ9. Don't see much discussion or history on using the LY6. Any reason for this?

Transmission and transfer case compatability for the LY6?

My rig is an 87 Blazer.

Thanks for any coaching you can offer.

Joe

2. bigblock72

bigblock72 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

The LY6 or L96 (rated at 322-360hp) are newer versions of the LQ4/LQ9 but are gen 4 motors which use the newer style computers, 58x crank sensor etc. they also have the rectangular port heads like a LS3. They will bolt in just the same as any other LS engine, same belhousing, same mounts, same accessories. Transmissions are little trickier since the gen 4 computer has no transmission control capability which means a seperate controller to run a 4l60e or 4l80e. Gen 4 controllers are strictly electronic throttle so there is no way to run a TV cable on a 700r4.

If you can get one for the right price get a 6l80 or 6l90 and have all the benefits of a lower first gear and double orverdrive and be more or less plug and play with the LY6, a 32 spline 241 will bolt right up too.

3. Ten_Bucks

Ten_Bucks 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Another vote for using the 6L80E. Use a NP241 that has a 32 spline input shaft so it'll bolt right up to the 6L80.

Scott

4. Tweekls1

Tweekls1 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Another option is to run a lingenfelter converter box (48x to 24x) and use gen 3 electronics. With this route you could use cable throttle body and have a kickdown for 700r4, overall the 6l80 is a better choice but there is more then one option. Also on those motors i would change the valve spring regardless if your doing a cam or not, they had more then a few that dropped valves. I actually picked up a ly6 with a dropped valve a couple weeks ago, then traded it for a l92 that had a dropped valve..