CK5 Network
Repairing, restoring or modifying your ride just got a whole lot easier!

MIG welder suggestions

fad2blk99

1/2 ton status
Reaction score
What is a good welder to get? I want an inexspensive MIG that can reliably weld up to 1/4" plate steel.
/forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

fortcollinsram

1/2 ton status
Reaction score
I have a Lincoln sp-135 PLUS. I love it for what I do...If you want do do 1/4" A LOT, get like a Lincol Power MIG 200 or 255...

I am looking at geting a PowerMIG 300 so I can do EVERYTHING

Chirs

camiswelding

1/2 ton status
Reaction score
stick with a lincoln or miller... sp 170t is a relaible small 220v welder that can do what you are asking... the 135 is a little down on power.
the hobart isnt bad and there are a bunch out there but Ive always wondered about a company that makes welders and bakery mixers?
cam

heavy4x4

1/2 ton status
Reaction score
Oh, and if all you're going to be welding (or a majority anyway) is only 1/4" plate steel, hell, get a less-expensive arc welder.

heavy4x4

1/2 ton status
Reaction score
[ QUOTE ]
SP135T if you don;t mind the extra work of flux core

[/ QUOTE ]

But, it's already set up for running gas...all you need to do is get a bottle. In fact, it's set up from the factory to run solid-wire (comes with solid wire and the proper sized tips). To go to flux core, you have to buy the flux core wire and larger tips.

84gmcjimmy

1 ton status
Reaction score
Miller or Lincoln for me. I have a Miller 135 or something. Small but it's okay. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

scoutillac

1/2 ton status
Reaction score
I like being able to use gas for sheet metal or flux core for some heat on the thicker stuff. Reverse the polarity and she really cooks hot. My breaker doesn't like it for long though.

Muddytazz

1 ton status
Reaction score
I have the Lincoln SP-135T Plus and use the thing to death without any problems. Even bought it for a really good deal. $249.99 /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

jjlaughner

3/4 ton status
Reaction score
I have a century mig welder with argon, its ok and fits my needs. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif
cart4.jpg

grd2go

Registered Member
Reaction score
I have a lincoln sp255 mig welder I love it I build things for our fleet of 9 tow trucks, 4 plow trucks and my three chevys that I use for everday drivers. I have never had any problems with it and Im now on my 5th 30lb spool of wire and just refilled my tank for the first time granted I do have the biggest bottle I could get for it but it lasted almost 2 years so its all good.. Try sticking with lincoln are miller they are by far the best on the market and easist to get parts for. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

tecton

1/2 ton status
Reaction score
ok
how does an arc welder work
and whats the downside of flux core?

fortcollinsram

1/2 ton status
Reaction score
The downside of fluxcored welding is the welds have more spatter and there is more cleanup involved. Gas shielding provides nice CLEAN welds. For most stuff I use gas shielded un less I am outside in windy conditions or am welding at eh uper limit of my welders capacity...

Chris

fad2blk99

1/2 ton status
Reaction score
[ QUOTE ]
I have the Lincoln SP-135T Plus and use the thing to death without any problems. Even bought it for a really good deal. $249.99 /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
Where did you score that!!! Sears has an SP-135T (no plus-if thats any different???) for $470!

[ QUOTE ]
the Hobart isn’t bad and there are a bunch out there but Ive always wondered about a company that makes welders and bakery mixers?
cam

[/ QUOTE ]
Hobart also makes the diesel generators the military uses to provide 3-phase, 110 VAC, 400Hz electricity to power aircraft electrical systems on the ground (so that we don't have to run the aircraft engines or APUs). And, we beat the hell out of these things (starting them up and going to build-up voltage with no warm-up, shutting them down from w/o throttle w/o a cool down and basically running these things all day and night in blazing heat and/or torrential downpours until they run out of gas). Believe me, if these things are any indication of the rest of the companies products, then Hobart must make a mean blender!

scoutillac

1/2 ton status
Reaction score
[ QUOTE ]
The downside of fluxcored welding is the welds have more spatter and there is more cleanup involved

[/ QUOTE ] Put a wire cup on your 4 1/2" grinder and the slag disappears instantly. /forums/images/graemlins/grind.gif

bigyellowjimmy

1/2 ton status
Reaction score
[ QUOTE ]
What is a good welder to get? I want an inexspensive MIG that can reliably weld up to 1/4" plate steel.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ive got a Lincoln SP 170T and am very happy with it. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Top Bottom