CK5 Network
Become a member of the largest online community for Chevy K5 Blazer, Suburban and C/K series truck owners!

Most hassle-free EFI system?

vandelay industries

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
Please list, not in your opinion, but in actual experiences with, the most hassle-free, hitch free, non-bull's hit, straightforward EFI system available now.

Stipulations:

1) Must be six-cylinder compatible. So, it looks like it will have to be a TBI system. Unfortunately, i don't think 'Brock's Pro-flo system will work here. Sad.

2) Should be a self-learning type system in case of cam changes or other modifications. If it wasn't for this, i think GM's TBI system would be the best.

Notice i didn't say anything about money; i'm looking for the most straightforward, no bull's hit, hassle free system that actually works.

vandelay industries

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
P.S.
Setting up a fuel system, tank to injectors is not a problem. But include this in the hassle-free factor as well.

beags86

Eastbound and Down
Reaction score
Not much experience with all the platforms. But I have a fast ez efi. And it's pretty simple!

Hosalabad

Likes to break on the first day
Premium Member
Reaction score
Fitech was not hard to configure, but was super sensitive to EMI causing lots of issues. Support in my experience was slow to respond, and poor. I am changing brands on my Falcon project.

skunked

phat block everything
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
The FiTech is pretty damn simple for a TBI setup. I run it on my crawler (5+ years now) and installed it on 5 other vehicles with a varierty of SBC's and BBC's.

Bent77

lil meanie
Staff member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
What size 6 cylinder?

Bent77

lil meanie
Staff member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
Any reason to avoid the factory TBI for a 4.3?
Not sexy, but pretty reliable

beags86

Eastbound and Down
Reaction score
Any reason to avoid the factory TBI for a 4.3?
Not sexy, but pretty reliable
If a guy had to source some from scratch a call to summit and a box at your door 3 days later might be easier then junkyard hunting......

Bent77

lil meanie
Staff member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
If a guy had to source some from scratch a call to summit and a box at your door 3 days later might be easier then junkyard hunting......
Definitely depends on where you’re able to source stuff. One good donor could save you a ton of time and money. That is the “x” in the equation though

I was lucky enough to convert 2 vehicles to TBI for less than $500 each time. A good carb cost that much

Just depends on budget and time allocation for the end user

beags86

Eastbound and Down
Reaction score
Definitely depends on where you’re able to source stuff. One good donor could save you a ton of time and money. That is the “x” in the equation though

I was lucky enough to convert 2 vehicles to TBI for less than $500 each time. A good carb cost that much

Oh for sure. I couldn't believe all the tbi stuff in the yards in Denver. In the rust belt any tbi powered 4.3 was long rusted away and junked.

Bent77

lil meanie
Staff member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
4.3 stuff isn’t super desirable. Still easy to find complete ones here

Techno Brain

Registered Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to convince my friend to use the Holley sniper two barrel on his 62 Studebaker. I would like to get one for my 231 Buick.

Bent77

lil meanie
Staff member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
That Sniper doesn’t get real great reviews. Buyer beware

Techno Brain

Registered Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hope my fitech system doesn't give me any problems.When I finally install it. I only purchased it four years ago but need to install new fuel sending units and selector & switch (extra selector & switch when I install a third tank) also need to run a return line, intake manifold...

Techno Brain

Registered Member
Premium Member
Reaction score

Would really like to see this done. Interested in what is used for an ECU system , ignition system and fuel system. Is there video of a conversion using junkyard parts?

Bent77

lil meanie
Staff member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
Would really like to see this done. Interested in what is used for an ECU system , ignition system and fuel system. Is there video of a conversion using junkyard parts?
Use the factory ecu and stick all the sensors in where they need to be

TankedUp

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
Fitech worked better (think it was a fuel problem that caused me hassle) and less trouble than sniper(nothing but trouble for me) But proflo 4 for the win for me. But if you or anyone want to try sniper or fitech pay shipping. There yours. Of course original poster gets dibs. But I have no use for them. Paid my dues and not gonna sell something I had a problem with. Just sitting gathering dust. Don’t want anyone thinking I made money off of something I knew didn’t work for me and doesn’t for them. May lack O2 sensor as they use the same.

mrk5

The Sticker Guy
Vendor
GMOTM Winner
Author
Reaction score
The ECU failed on my Sniper EFI, but they did replace it even though it was a couple months out of warranty. The new one has been fine for about 7000 miles so far. The second problem was a bad injector harness connection. That can be user fixed and improved pretty easily

Personally I think all of the sub $2000 EFI systems probably have about the same odds of being trouble free. A lot of the reliability comes from the installation. I think the Holley Sniper and FiTech are probably the most popular so there is a lot of information out there about how to address the issues that do come up. An example of that would be when I had an injector not firing on the Sniper and a little searching found that the connector was a known issue as referenced above.

Top Bottom