Motor City K5 sliding window kits

Discussion in 'The Body Shop' started by Gentleman Jimmy, Nov 21, 2020.

1. Gentleman Jimmy

Gentleman Jimmy Registered Member Premium Member

Hey guys,
    I just wanted to share my experience with my sliding window rebuild and Mark with Motor City K5

After I ordered the kit I quickly realized the rubber in the kit wouldn’t work with my frames. After a quick search in the forums I found another CK5’r had a similar experience. Turns out some of the older slider channels are almost a 1/4” narrower than the newer models. I contacted Mark to explain the situation and he quickly let me know he had this issue once before but hasn’t seen it since. While there currently isn’t a disclaimer on his website that states to measure your channel width before ordering, he will be updating it to avoid further confusion.

I boxed up the rubbers he sent me and got on the horn with some of the major rubber companies out there, while I was on hold with Steele rubber Mark called me on the other line to tell me he found something that he thought would work from Precision. He had Precision quickly send me out more than enough to do both frames. I was able to use what they sent which was a 3/8” channel flocked rubber and fit pretty darn good (which I couldn’t find searching the internet prior). The only issues I could note when installing the rubber is that the height of the rubber is a little lower than the height of the channel, it tended to roll over in the channel if not put in perfectly straight, and that the corners were a pain in the butt and took several attempts to get right...but it worked and my windows are done.
    I can’t say enough about Mark and his customer service. He was very professional and helpful with all the ins and outs of getting these sliders rebuilt which hopefully I won’t ever have to do again!
    Last thing to note would be that the “kit” does not come with everything you’d need when rebuilding these. I should have torn mine apart first to know what I was dealing with and then would have seen from the picture and description on the website that I would have to re/use and or source out some of the other expendable parts. But all in all his knowledge of rebuilding these and custom service were worth the price of what comes in the kit.
    I don’t normally do reviews but thought this might help someone on the fence about rebuilding their sliders.

1A85F51D-291D-4415-A65C-98CAF3205F0E.jpeg

49F24912-3C03-43D4-A002-28FD2B934B2D.jpeg

skunked, 6872xtc and MEMO43 like this.
  2. ghostfire319

ghostfire319 Registered Member Premium Member

Man. I am really digging those sliders and the roof rack! Once I get the floor plans sorted on mine, I will definitely be looking into the windows. Did you build the roof rack yourself?

3. Gentleman Jimmy

Thanks! I actually pulled that off a 2020 4runner TRD, got it for a couple hundred bucks. I was going to build my own but the this was to good to pass up, exactly what I wanted as far as size and weight...it’s very light. You can get Toyota factory rails and accessories for it too. It fit pretty good right from the get go. I did have to shape the mounts a little to match the contour of my roof, and then I fiberglassed in my mounting hardware so there is no penetration into the cab area. The red arrow in the picture is where the hardware is hidden in each corner. It hasn’t been smoothed and painted in that pic.

92C3C03E-D407-4596-8BEA-E0B8697C4D36.jpeg

ktmoutfront likes this.
  4. ghostfire319

ghostfire319 Registered Member Premium Member

Just wow! You do some amazing work. I am definitely envious lol.

Gentleman Jimmy likes this.
  5. 1975Jimmy

1975Jimmy 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Do you have a part number for the rubber flocked channel you used? I am having some issues with the Motor City K5 rebuild kit I ordered. The channels measure 11/16" and the stuff he sent fits in the channel decent enough but the windows have aluminum around them that measures 3/8" wide. The windows do not want to slide in the channel seals he sent in the kit.

6. Gentleman Jimmy

I can try and get it for you tomorrow. I don’t have the part number, but I can call Precision with the order number tomorrow and get it for you... Mark should have it too. I haven’t seen sliders with a frame around each piece of glass before? The channel I used was 3/8” wide, if your channel is 11/16” it’s probably going to be too small. Do you have a pic of your sliders you can upload? That way more people can see what you’re dealing with and can hopefully help find a solution.

7. 1975Jimmy

1975Jimmy 1/2 ton status Premium Member

That would be amazing! I know stuff that works must exist out there. The hunt has been a bit daunting. Almost tempted to go solid glass to end the headache. Pics below.

FAA1445D-3A07-470B-9ACA-F2F912395945.jpeg

1D87ECB5-9A38-4D34-8955-C710B9806B93.jpeg

8FF48710-D99B-4CF6-9D95-82D14A892C4C.jpeg

224B41BE-0A88-4650-87EE-EAD5E07A68A3.jpeg

61C6CB41-F7FB-4588-9C95-CDFE670AE2CB.jpeg

8. Gentleman Jimmy

I see what you’re dealing with now. The Precision part number for the 3/8” channel is #750639, but that definitely won’t work for your application. I would assume you have spoke to Mark and he’s looking for a solution as well? If not I would let him know right away. Also you can contact the big auto rubber manufacturers (Precision, Steele, etc..) to see if they have something that would work better.

Also, I’m not sure if you’re gung ho on keeping the aluminum trim? but you could pull it off one of the glass panels and see if it will work without the trim on there. If you end up finding a channel that would work with the trim it wouldn’t be hard to re-install it. Hopefully someone else on here has been down your road and can chime in, but unfortunately I haven’t seen sliders like that. Keep us posted, and in the meantime I will keep an eye out for a solution as well. Good luck

9. Chevy350Ben

Chevy350Ben Part time mall crawler Premium Member

Build(s):
    Sorry, I dont have any useful information for you. But I'm gonna follow along, because I have the same aluminum channels on my 90 that Im going to have to tackle eventually.

10. Wes Harden

Wes Harden 1/2 ton status Premium Member