CK5 Network
Repairing, restoring or modifying your ride just got a whole lot easier!

Mud ate my paint!!

ZZ4x4

1/2 ton status
Reaction score
We went mudding in a local field the night before last. The next morning I took the truck to the car wash and sprayed off all the mud. The rustoleum on the bumpers bubbled where the mud had been and came right off in the car wash. On the sides of the truck and hood, wherever a mud glop sat, there is a serious discoloration and dull mark /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif. I tried re-waxing the spots with no effect. It's like the truck got sprayed with brake fluid. Has anyone ever had this happen? Darn Texas acid mud /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif. Is there a fix for the paint?
Jeff /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

CHEVY 4WD

1/2 ton status
Reaction score
You should probably re-paint the bumpers, and on the body do a real good wax job... if you have base coat clear coat paint wet sanding might do it also... but your gonna need to do the entire truck if you wet sand(I would WAX the intire truck real good first though)

ZZ4x4

1/2 ton status
Reaction score
Yeah, i actually had a good coat of wax on it before this happened. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif The paint is a single stage paint instead of a clear coat which I used to help with easy paint repairs. Next time, I think clear coat will be called for. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

BlazerGuy

3/4 ton status
Reaction score
I hear ya on the acid mud. Back when I didn't know any better, I went muddin. I usually washed it off within a few days and I never had a problem. Until one time. I went out in the same 'hole I always went to. Next morning all the mud that was on the truck was laying in the street and it had my paint attached to it. /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif It was the factory paint and the mud took off a lot of it...down to the primer. The best fix is to start rockcrawling...wait...no, you'll lose paint there too....I guess just start hanging out at the mall and park across 8 spaces... /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

daleearnhardt01

1/2 ton status
Reaction score
Same thing happened to me as well. Waxing didnt do the trick so now I have dull spots randomly on my hood /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

beater_k20

Banned
Reaction score
paint, we dont need no stinking paint! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif spray bomb it, and forget about it! sounds like the bumper was improperly prepped.

ZZ4x4

1/2 ton status
Reaction score
[ QUOTE ]
I guess just start hanging out at the mall and park across 8 spaces...

[/ QUOTE ]
/forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif LMAO Thats good. I knew I'd find the answer here! To the mall I go ....
Jeff

ZZ4x4

1/2 ton status
Reaction score
I haven't got a clue as to what could be in the mud that would do that. In years of wheeling around Chicago, I've never seen this. If someone did have a leak of brake fluid into the mud, I could maybe see getting a small area of paint discoloration, but this is over the whole truck. I'm thinking I need to wet sand the paint! /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

ilikemud

1/2 ton status
Reaction score
all the farm trucks that we use see generous ammounts of mud, and being a dairy farm they see lots of cow sh*t, and let me tell you... leaving that on there will eat the paint off and even the metal...

jekbrown

I am CK5
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Author
Reaction score
strip all the paint off and line-x everything... problem solved. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

j

75-K5

3/4 ton status
Reaction score
[ QUOTE ]
Why ddid you paintball it /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Why not? /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

84gmcjimmy

1 ton status
Reaction score
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Why ddid you paintball it /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Why not? /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

Top Bottom