Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE Membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Need reassurance

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Big Blzn, May 6, 2007.

1. Big Blzn

Big Blzn 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Just got back from the salvage yard today and looked at a 14bff that looks like it will fit but want reassurance. The donor was a chevy late 80's early 90's crew cab 4X2 with SRW. On the side at the "C" pillar there was an emblem that said 3X3. The head lights were the two next to each other on each side like an '89 would have. The spring perches and the WMS all seemed right for my '72 (40.5" and 67"). So would you figure it would be a good fit? Anything else I should look for? They want $206.00 for it?????

Thanks for the help.

2. CDA 455

CDA 455 3/4 ton status

Is the axle in great shape? For that kind of coin it better be!

Spring perches are correct.

3. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

around here $206 is not too bad IF THEY PULL IT, and don't damage a bunch of stuff...

I paid $100 for mine, but i had to pull it, and drag it around, then a few years later i paid $150 for the 3/4 ton front to finally match the 8 lug setup:doah:

again, I pulled it and drug it around.

4. lochenjons

lochenjons 1/2 ton status

Itll fit but the shock tabs on the axle tub might be too low for your shocks, either reweld em or get longer shocks. Pop the cover and make sure everything looks good. I got mine for $150 at the pick n pull

5. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

I personally only had slight issues with the drivers side shock mount, the shock tube would hit the axle tube,,,if you really wanted to, you could just flip the shock over, some people may not like this idea, but it works...

I got mine to eventually fit, just very slight dent in the tube at the base, nothing to make it not work though.:D

6. Big Blzn

Big Blzn 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Yeah, unfortuantly I'll have to pull the SOB myself and haul it 300 yards to the exit. The small stuff isn't a big deal like the shock mounts. I just need to verify that it has 4:10 gears. I heard someone say on another thread about being an open carrier? What (here comes the noob) is the other type and what would be the best? Since it comes from a 1 ton what would a posi or limited slip look like compared to being open? My plan is to rebuild the axle over the summer and get as much info and learn as I go, so to speak. any other advice would be great. Thanks so far guys.

7. lochenjons

If its not open itll be a govloc most likely. A lot of people say their weak and a time bomb but so far I havent had a problem with mine (only wheeled it once so far but I definately wasnt going easy on it). This is what my govloc looks like (you can tell by the cone shape of the carrier IIRC):
    [​IMG]
    Sorry the pic isnt the greatest, a search for images for govloc should get you some

Also I beleive,with both sides of the axle off the ground (or wheels if their on it), if you spin one side of the rear end the other side wont spin if its open, if its posi itll spin the opposite direction, and if its locked they both spin the same direction. Someone correct me if I'm wrong

8. Dweller99

Dweller99 Registered Member

With both wheels off the ground, an open diff will spin the wheels in opposite directions, a posi will (usually but not always) spin the wheels in the same direction. I say usually because the first time I tried this test I thought I had an open diff since the wheels turned opposite of each other. After a *cough* more through test in a patch of gravel I confirmed I did indeed have posi. Jacked it up again and both wheels were turning the same direction.

Someone may come along with more info but I believe that we are getting you on the right track for quick tests of what kind of carrier you have.

9. lochenjons

Oh, thats weird. I may not remember correctly, but i think when i turned the wheels on my buddies burb with open diffs only the one side spun. I know my govloc spins both, I forget if they spin opposite tho, wait....memorys coming back. I think mine did spin the same way come to htink of it

10. mstockton

mstockton Registered Member

Open diff should spin them opposite in most situations, beacuse the spiders are rotating freely. Gov lok will spin them the same after a certain rpm becaus e then the carrier is locked. Not sure how much pressure/rpm is required to get a posi to tension the carrier and resist slipping.

Open will always spin opposite because its less resistance to rotate the spiders than the ring 'n pinion...

-Martin

11. 76zimmer

76zimmer Flyin Rat Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Build(s):
    I believe that the gov lock problems are associated with non 14BFF axles. They engage as the govenor senses more than about a 20rpm difference in wheel speed, so when it senses that, it locks up. The 14BFF is tough enough to handle it, but the 10 bolts don't last too long under abusive situations. I've had 2 of the 14BFF with the gov lock and it has worked well as designed. I've also broke a 10bolt, and a 14BSF with the gov locks in them.

If the axle has the gears you want and if you want the gov lock, I would say its a good deal. If it doesn't have what you want, I'd pass. They are plentiful