New Member needs Roll Cage Tips for 75 Blazer

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by blazerloco, Jun 15, 2005.

1. blazerloco

blazerloco Registered Member

Howdy: I just signed up for this board after stumbling on it in the Off-Road BB. Anyways, a little personal info. I'm from Michigan and I love trucks. I recently bought a mostly rust-free 75 Blazer off of Ebay. I have 3 other trucks that I have had for years: 88 Bronco, 91 YJ, and a 96 Z-71. Locally, I go muddin. But I also travel to Colorado and Utah once in a while for some crawlin. Anyways, I'm lookin to build a roll cage for the 75 Blazer and could use some tips/pictures. The truck has the factory roll bar, but I need something better. I would appreciate any ideas/pictures anyone might have. Thanks!

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Build(s):
    Here is a few pic's of mine.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Rene

3. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

hey tR, you have a pic of what your cage looks like in the tailgate area? can't really see all that well in the pics... got one with the gate off or down? I'm not a professional fab guy, but your cage is definitely gonna be inspirational for my design. Only thing two things I will probably do differently. 1) use a big X brace in the b hoop + a horizontal for harness mounting etc instead of V-shape design you went with. 2) I plan on chopping the butt end of my rig a little bit and narrowing and/or shortening the bed so the rear half won't be as long.

j

4. tRustyK5

Build(s):
    Here ya go J...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and a random pic from the last time I went fishing...lol

[​IMG]

sorry the cage pics are dark...but it is currently dark outside and the pic's were taken about 10 minutes ago.

HTH

Rene

5. jekbrown

wow... thats not what I was expecting... at all. lol! :grin: for some reason I thought the long tubes that connect the b-hoop to the rear of the bed were shorter, had a bend in them so they went vertical for the last 30cm or so and had a horizontal crossmember between them at that bend (forming a node with the other members that come down from the top hoop in the far back). Maybe I am thinking of someone else's cage? lol! I dunno... all I know is those new pics surprised the crap out of me. ;) Anyway, in retrospect would you do anything differently?

j

6. tRustyK5

Build(s):
    I don't think I'd do anything too different. I will be adding some horizonatal bars between the downbars (across the tops of the wheelwells and inline with the direction the hi-lift is currently) I feel that is something I overlooked at the time, and will do tons to help strengthen the rear downbars, tying them into the rest of the cage better.

Other than that I may make minor additions here and there. Like everything, it's alwyas a work in progress.

Rene

7. blazerloco

blazerloco Registered Member

Wow that's a roll cage! What materials/tools did you use? I know you wanna use DOM Tubing, but what material grade of steel? What OD/wall?What did you use for a bender? Thanks forthe pics!

8. tRustyK5

Build(s):
    That is 1.75" x .120" wall HREW tubing...it's just mild steel. It might be 1018, but I don't have the mill certs anymore so i can say for sure. I used the JD2 tube bender that i bought from Van Sant. www.tricktools.com

I also used their notcher, and most of the welding I did at work with a high end Miller. Most home machines will have no trouble with roll cage tubing though.

Rene

9. jekbrown

lol, so long as they have your mad skillz. I ain't welding up my cage, no way in heck. My crappy stick welder booger welds ain't makin' the cut. I plan on tacking things into place and bringing in someone who knows what they are doing. :) I'm using 1.75 x 0.120 wall DOM for my cage... I really like the look of jungle gyms, so it will prolly have a few extra crossmembers, braces etc that might not even really add much to overall strength. Over kill is good. ;)

j

10. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Smittybuilt used to sell a cage kit for a '75 with a factory roll bar. It welds to the factory bar. The part number was 2 letters followed by the number 84 if I remember right. You might want to snoop around and see if it is still available. :-)

11. tRustyK5

Build(s):
    I wouldn't attempt cage welding with stick either...mad skilz or not LOL.

Rene

12. Okiemuddog

Okiemuddog 1/2 ton status

I agree with the no stick idea, mine was hard enough to weld up and I was using a hi-end Snap-on MIG.

13. seschev3

seschev3 1/2 ton status

I have the smitty in the front and added the rear section to mine. I had to design it around my soft top so I could still fold it down and protect my kids as well. DIY4x4 has some great floor plates and bracing for cages. I used them in my build. Here are some pics from the past not really showing the full cage, but may help. I can take some pics next time I take the top down if you need a better idea.

DSC00705.JPG

DSC00711.JPG

DSC00709.JPG

DSC00710.JPG