CK5 Network
Become a member of the largest online community for Chevy K5 Blazer, Suburban and C/K series truck owners!

Newbie in a Pickle. Advice on trailering needed.

Snakerake

Registered Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
You can't start with the 100 or the 200 mile tow unless you find someone who has a membership for that and they add you.
Now they are offering 50% off for adding members.
I just added my brother.
And yes I pay 190 for my platinum plus my wife and brother I paid total $267
Otherwise like @sweetk30 said
I called and they said it was fine as long as I wait the 7 days.

gonefishin

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
I have used the u haul car trailer before with my k5. It had the fold over fenders for loading the blazer. I had 44's on it at the time and it fit. U haul wouldn't rent it to me for hauling the k5 blazer. I had to tell them it was an s10 blazer though....

Blue85

Yooper
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
I have used the u haul car trailer before with my k5. It had the fold over fenders for loading the blazer. I had 44's on it at the time and it fit. U haul wouldn't rent it to me for hauling the k5 blazer. I had to tell them it was an s10 blazer though....
Correct. You have to lie to put a truck on a U-haul trailer. They are for coupe/sedan. The biggest thing they will take is like an S-10 Blazer, so you could use that as a "mistaken identity". If you run into trouble, you're pretty much humped. Some stores will only let you take the trailer when the vehicle is loaded on it and hitched to the tow vehicle, so that can stop the whole thing upfront.

Wes Harden

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Solutions
Reaction score
I have used U haul car trailer for a 68 Caprice classic from Grand Junction to Los Angles, and an Astro van locally. Both towed by 77 K20 burb that one had a sm465. One I shouldn't have let go.

fourwheelerjeff

Jeff's Offroad Emporium
Staff member
Reaction score
I flat towed a blazer with 12" lift on 40s 1200 miles with an 87 2wd C10; had a homemade tow bar and magnetic lights on the back bumper of the K5 that kept falling off and hanging by the wires.

was it safe?

I don't know. I didn't wreck, didn't cause any wrecks and just took it at the speed I was comfortable with.

imiceman44

Hoarder extraordinaire
Premium Member
Reaction score
I flat towed a blazer with 12" lift on 40s 1200 miles with an 87 2wd C10; had a homemade tow bar and magnetic lights on the back bumper of the K5 that kept falling off and hanging by the wires.

was it safe?

I don't know. I didn't wreck, didn't cause any wrecks and just took it at the speed I was comfortable with.
As I have said I have done worse, but I never advise anyone else to do what I have.
I am crazy and I think God protects the fool :dunno: :whistle:

Snakerake

Registered Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I signed up for AAA. I travel for work a lot so it’ll probably come in handy. Also my wife blows a tire once or twice a year.

I called to set up the tow and they just told me to call back on Wednesday after my 7 day waiting period is up. No issue with the distance. If this works it’ll be a big relief.

pblaze725

build bash rebuild
Premium Member
GMOTM Winner
Reaction score
Can you take the fenders off the trailer to get the front tires through?

Thats what I have to do when I load my JIMMY on my trailer.

Snakerake

Registered Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Can you take the fenders off the trailer to get the front tires through?

Thats what I have to do when I load my JIMMY on my trailer.
Well the trailer has sides so, no. It’s my dads tractor trailer. I’m gonna talk to him about cutting the sides off and beefing up the fenders to drive over, but that’ll be a long term thing. If AAA doesn’t work out, my cousin has a wider trailer I can borrow, but I’ll need to get some stock rollers to get it on it.

imiceman44

Hoarder extraordinaire
Premium Member
Reaction score
Here in Southern California, took me a year of basic membership before I was eligible for 100 mile tows.
And only if you don't use it the first year.
Otherwise it was 3 years.
I don't know if they changed the rules or not but it doesn't matter to me.
I am getting. Y brother in law setup so I don't have to be there when he breaks down.
I had to last Friday.
Now they have a promotion 50% off for any added member

Snakerake

Registered Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Well AAA was a bust. Today my 7 day waiting period was up. I called to set it up and they told me they wouldn't do it because it wasn't being towed to a place of business. I talked my way out of that, but then they said they wouldn't tow it because it wasn't registered in my name yet ( which the vehicle has to be present to do in Alabama). This is quite frustrating since I have called twice to verify that the tow would be allowed and both times they said it would be allowed. So I cancelled the membership. They've written themselves some nice little loopholes to deny services. I'm not gonna play that game. Now back to square one. Gotta find some stock rollers.

6.2Blazer

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Reaction score
Many flatbed trailers listed as "car haulers" are commonly 82"-83" between the fenders and typically trucks with stock, or close to stock, size front tires will fit. That's an option if you can find one to rent or borrow. My K5 with a D60 front on 10" wide wheels and 13" wide tires was just a few inches to wide for my trailer so I made drive over fenders. 102" is the max overall width (outside of tire to outside of tire) a trailer can be legally without getting into oversize loads and permits. My car hauler is 82" between the fenders than 102" when you add in the width of the tires and fenders.

But as the OP mentioned you are limited with the trailer has side rails. Regarding the comment about cutting off the side rails just keep in mind that many of this style trailers rely on those side rails as part of the overall structure. One guy in our off-road club cut off the side rails of his trailer and then realized they provided a ton of support and the trailer became real flimsy and he had to add supports, though my neighbor recently bought a 14' single axle trailer with side rails but they can be folded down or removed so obviously not needed for support.

sweetk30

I build stuff
Premium Member
Reaction score
Well AAA was a bust. Today my 7 day waiting period was up. I called to set it up and they told me they wouldn't do it because it wasn't being towed to a place of business. I talked my way out of that, but then they said they wouldn't tow it because it wasn't registered in my name yet ( which the vehicle has to be present to do in Alabama). This is quite frustrating since I have called twice to verify that the tow would be allowed and both times they said it would be allowed. So I cancelled the membership. They've written themselves some nice little loopholes to deny services. I'm not gonna play that game. Now back to square one. Gotta find some stock rollers.
hate to say it but we told you this with AAA it can be tricky to get it done . . .

time for stock 2 front tires / roll it up on trailer / and strap down the axles with 4 corner tie down and go .

reason for tie down of the axles is the suspension still can move and not make a strap or chain come loose over bigger bumps .

imiceman44

Hoarder extraordinaire
Premium Member
Reaction score
Once you are a long time customer like me, they never ask these questions.
I moved on average 3 trucks a year in 16 years.
One year I did 7, using my wife's quota and 90% of those were not mine.
Also since you didn't know AAA is for you not the vehicle.
They tell you that in the contract.
You have to be there, not own the vehicle.
The only new thing they added last year is it has to be registered as in valid registration.
I have ways around that since all my vehicles are squares, a license plate and registration is all they need to see.:pimp:

Snakerake

Registered Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I talked it over with my wife. I’m just gonna spend the $500 and have it towed with a rollback. I need to get it moved this weekend or it’ll be another month until I can get back to it. I’d have to spend $200-300 anyway on stock wheels and a jack big enough for the 6” lift on it.

Wes Harden

1/2 ton status
Premium Member
Solutions
Reaction score
Make sure you leave manual trans in neutral. The little bit of rocking can start wear in a tiny area of your cylinders.
Tie down on axle is for sure, after that add another to body front and back. Keeps the shocks from getting be a work out on the long moves.

Top Bottom